cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won't let me cancel because I don't have access to prior email address

Highlighted

Dropbox won't let me cancel because I don't have access to prior email address

Explorer | Level 4

I used to like Dropbox, but will never use them again. Problem number one, their system for cancelling is not robust and has a pretty obvious hole (addressed below). Problem 2, they have no people to talk on the phone to to resolve their billing problems.

I do not have access or even know what business email I used to create the charging subscription account. I assumed the charges were for personal account for a long time. This process started because I planned to use it more and needed the upgrade perks, so trying to get what I'm paying for associated with the correct account, which after this I will absolutely not be using again.

YES, I used the tool to look up the business account with the credit card transaction, but it did not work because it's a new issuance of the card. Thus, I cannot locate the account and sign in to downgrade. Also, there is nobody available with dropbox staff to help with the issue. If I cannot get an answer on this forum before the next billing cycle I will send a formal demand to Dropbox, followed by a simple lawsuit. MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SUE SOMEONE TO STOP THEM FOR CHARGING ON AN OPEN MONTHLY CONTRACT!?!?! Get it together Dropbox. Absolutely disgusting. 

I assure everyone if I have to draft a lawsuit, I will make a form of it publically available to make it cheaper for other people to do the same. Maybe THEN it will be useful to have someone available for billing questions, especially considering all you have to do is lose access to an email and change your card number to be looped into an indefinite billing cycle apparently. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox won't let me cancel because I don't have access to prior email address

Dropboxer

Hello @ntamsma, thank you for reaching out to us and I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. 

Since you're having trouble looking up the email address associated with the charges, I'd recommend submitting a Help Request via our Support page, due to account-specific info that'd be necessary to have a better look into this for you. 

However, I was able to find your already existing ticket, to which a member of my team has replied to you. I've made sure to pass your comments along, so when you get the chance, check your inbox for their message and don't hesitate to get back to them with any additional details on the matter. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, please let me know. Thank you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox won't let me cancel because I don't have access to prior email address

Dropboxer

Hello @ntamsma, thank you for reaching out to us and I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. 

Since you're having trouble looking up the email address associated with the charges, I'd recommend submitting a Help Request via our Support page, due to account-specific info that'd be necessary to have a better look into this for you. 

However, I was able to find your already existing ticket, to which a member of my team has replied to you. I've made sure to pass your comments along, so when you get the chance, check your inbox for their message and don't hesitate to get back to them with any additional details on the matter. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, please let me know. Thank you!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I did and they did solve the problem. My anger level has gone from a 9 to 2. Thanks

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

This is comical how DropBox won't let you cancel when you can't access the old email. 

you still access my old credit card, so why won't you allow me to either access my files THAT I'M PAYING FOR or let me CANCEL the account?!?!?!

I've been dealing with this for months! Next stop I guess is posting to social networks if this doesn't get handled.  It's literally be SIX MONTHS!!! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @angryuser12, thanks for nudging us on this thread and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

If you're having trouble cancelling your subscription, you can contact our Support team by going to this link from an incognito window (without signing in) and filling out the relevant information asked. 

If you have a Help Request regarding this matter already, could you please let me know the ticket ID (eg. #1234567)? 

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Ticket # 9676971

Hi, I got this email from you on Sept 04, 2019.  

"Hi Mauricio, Thanks for contacting Dropbox Support! My name is Oscar and I am more than welcome to assist you today.

From my understanding Mauricio, you wish to cancel an account of an old assistant who no longer works for you and at the same time, access the files so you can download them, am I right? I assure you that I will do my best to assist you regarding this matter. The billing information you provided, brought up a monthly paid Dropbox Plus 2 TB plan which is associated with the email: [Removed as per Community Guidelines]

As you requested, I have cancelled the automatic renewal of that account. At the end of the current billing period, the account will be closed and reverted to a free Basic plan.  Unfortunately Mauricio,  if you don't have access to the email address of that account and do not know the password, then you have no way of accessing those files.  Please feel free to contact me whenever you have a question or issue while continuing to enjoy the experience of using DropboxWishing you have a wonderful day!" 

However, I keep getting billed $12.75 each month since then.  I have put a credit card hold on the transaction, and have tried everything on this earth to get you to stop billing me, but it just keeps coming and coming.  I want to work with someone in particular (not a community members or someon unaccountable) so that I can finally get someone to stop billing me for services that I have not used for over a year now, and for which I have repeated asked to stop being billed.  

Thanks, 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

In general, you can check the email address and payment date associated with an unidentified Dropbox credit card charge with our lookup tool.

However, due to account-specific info that'd be needed to have a better look into this matter for you, could you reply back to the interaction (#9676971) you mentioned? 

If a new ticket is created from it, could you let me know that ID? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you, @angryuser12!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusll, 

There is no new ticket created and no way for me to cancel the payment becuase I can't log into that account. It really is a Catch-22 in closing this thing out, but only a one sided Catch-22 because I keep getting billed even though I have asked to stop being billed for an account that I cannot access, and I can't terminate the account unless I can access it (even though I'm still being billed for it).  And I don't need to look up whether my credit card is being used because I have the listing of the last nine months of bills even though I've asked for it to stop.  

Please advise on how I finally terminate this with some kind of manual, human over ride to the self-referencing system.  

Thanks, 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

To resolve this, you'll have to contact our Support team, due to account-specific info that is necessary to have a better look into this for you.

You can do so by going to this link from an incognito window and (without signing in) submit a Help Request. 

Let me know if you have any trouble along the way. Thanks, @angryuser12!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I've tried the automated interface and it isn't working.  

I just need a bi-ped human organism with living tissue to work through this problem with me.  it's amazing that there is no way to even contact someone directly with questions that are clearly not subject to answer by menu selection.  

Again, please have someone contact me because this has been going on for NINE MONTHS.  

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?