cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email address associated with my DropBox account

Email address associated with my DropBox account

GazfromOz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi All, I have changed my email address on the Dropbox website which has been verified, however the email address on the Dropbox desktop app is the old email address, how do I update it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

GazfromOz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi again Здравко,

After rebooting my device and restarting the Dropbox app twice the correct email address is now showing.

Thank you very much for your help.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@GazfromOz wrote:

Hi All, I have changed my email address on the Dropbox website which has been verified, however the email address on the Dropbox desktop app is the old email address, ...

Hi @GazfromOz,

Hm... 🤔 Are you sure you "have changed" the email on your existing Dropbox account, but not have created completely new one? 🧐 The email is associated with account, not with a particular install! That's why most probably you have 2 accounts now, one for every one email.

@GazfromOz wrote:

..., how do I update it?

If the final target is update initial account to the email you have used finally, remove the account you have just created and use it to update your "older" account. Email associated to a Dropbox account can't be used in other account; that's why your new account have to be removed, so the new email will no more be associated to any account and could be used to replace the existing email (otherwise you will get to error).

Login to your new account and make sure you don't have there any data. If you have upload there something, already, make a backup. After that, get into your General account settings. Scroll down to the page bottom, where you will see "Delete my Dropbox" and use it to wipe out the new account. At this moment your new email is freed for use.

Login to your old acccount and get into your General account settings. Next to your current (old) email is a link "Edit". Use it to update your old email to the one you have just freed for use. 😉

Hope this helps.

GazfromOz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Здравко,

Thanks for your reply.

I am sure I changed the email and did not setup a new account.

I followed the instructions as shown below.

When I look at the website content, it is the same as the desktop app content which would aslo confirm I have only one account, BUT with two different email addresses as mentioned in my question.

Change the email address on your Dropbox account
  1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click your avatar (profile picture or initials) in the upper-right corner.
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Under the General tab, find your email address.
  5. Click Edit next to your email address. ...
  6. Enter your new email address and current password.
  7. Click Update email. ...
  8. Open the email, and click Verify your email.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hm... 🤔 In such a case the email seen on your application should update automatically. Seems like some caching issue. Did you try quit Dropbox application and run it anew. Let's hope the cache content (including the email) will gets updated. If the issue isn't resolved still, you can try unlink your application ( Preferences -> Account tab -> Unlink... ) and link it back.

Hopefully this will help.

GazfromOz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi again Здравко,

Yes I did quit the Dropbox application and restarted with no change to the old email address.  What I might do is restart the computer and check again.

I considered to unlink my application as you suggested ( Preferences -> Account tab -> Unlink... ) and link it back, however the selection to do so says "Unlink these accounts in Settings on web" and I was not 100% confident to action.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@GazfromOz wrote:

I considered to unlink my application as you suggested ( Preferences -> Account tab -> Unlink... ) and link it back, however the selection to do so says "Unlink these accounts in Settings on web" and I was not 100% confident to action.

Actually "unlink" means break the authorization between local application instance and the Dropbox account. You can do this in 2 ways. Either push the "Unlink..." button in your local application settings or remove your device' line out from devices list associated to your account. Both are equivalent (same final result). Select whatever is more convenient to you.

GazfromOz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi again Здравко,

After rebooting my device and restarting the Dropbox app twice the correct email address is now showing.

Thank you very much for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GazfromOz Helpful | Level 5
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?