cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email is taken over by hacker, need to change my email to regain access to years of pictures

Email is taken over by hacker, need to change my email to regain access to years of pictures

Dallas1971
Explorer | Level 3

Email is taken over by hacker, need to change my email to regain access to years of pictures.  How can I submit a ticket to dropbox support and explain.  

10 Replies 10

Re: Email is taken over by hacker, need to change my email to regain access to years of pictures

Mark
Super User II

You can do so when not logged in at www.dropbox.com/support. However, unless you are already logged in on an device I doubt there is anything they will be able to do 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Email is taken over by hacker, need to change my email to regain access to years of pictures

Dallas1971
Explorer | Level 3

Rats!  I use to have a premium account, then during Covid, I love my job couldn't keep up with the payments and let it lapse while my account was just slighly over 2GB.  Is there a direct email/contact in which I can ask Billing about it?  

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Dallas1971, thanks for joining the Community!

I understand the concern over your Dropbox account. 

Just to check, have you contacted your email provider to try to regain access to your email address?

Are you still able to login to your Dropbox account so that you can change the email?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dallas1971
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Jay - unfortunately, I am one of the victims of the Tmobile hack and I told them about it a week before they admitted to it.  The threat actors stole records which included the SIM card number, SSN, license number, email account and full property address.  So after mine was stolen, the first thing the threat actors did was transfer my phone number to a phone under their control.  They then, used the reset password with SMS, logged in my hotmail email account, change the password, then setup MFA.  I got an alert from it in my gmail of the changes, but when I tried to log into my hotmail account, it was too late.  I tried contacting microsoft for two weeks and they flat out told me there is nothing they can do.  I did contact them again today and they are bit more sympathetic and told me to file a FBI report and report the fraud.  They then further explained the FBI may be able to help me recover the hotmail account after their current ongoing investigation with Tmobile which is going to take months and possible a couple of years. 

I've setup a new email account, setup up MFA and completely removed SMS option.  At this point, the old email account is lost and all I can do now is ask Drop box to change the email address on the backed as other vendors like Coinbase, Binance, Lastpass, AWS. Bank of america, etc.  I spent all of last week having companies change the email on the backed and every one of them did after me sending something to prove ownership.  

I can say my account associated with [removed per the Community's Guidelines] was a premium account, and its over the 2 GB limit.  I would have to re-sign up for the premium service anyway after regaining access to download my wedding pics. I was meaning to do so, but I had some financial issues since covid.  

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the info, in order to look into this further, would it be possible to contact you at the email address associated with your forum profile?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dallas1971
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay - The email address used to sign up for dropbox back in 2012 is in the hands of a threat actor.   The phone number on the account is either [email removed as per Community Guidelines]  Because the Tmobile hack gave my my SIM card number, phone number, Drivers license, DOB and my email address, the hacker's first transferred my number to a phone in their control, then reset the password by sending a code to the number, which was in their control.  After they gained access to the email associated with drop box, they setup MFA and completely locked me out my account.  When I tried to reset my password to the email account associated with my dropbox account that the hackers gained access to and locked me out, they removed the option to reset the password via cell phone text message and solely on MFA.  

I have regained access to the phone numbers associated with my account and If you look on the backed, you will see I had a premium subscription in 2017-2018, uploaded data above the 2GB.  

You can reach me by either [email removed as per Community Guidelines]or by my new email address of [email removed as per Community Guidelines]

Dallas1971
Explorer | Level 3

Last note - I can even tell you the name of the folders in the account because they were all associated with past companies I worked for (Dell, Aetna, Santanderbank, HP, etc).  If there is no way I can have my email account changed on the backend, then I will just have to live with it.  But I have been able to provide the same information for other online accounts and I didn't have to go back and forth 6 or 7 times via email with zero resolution.  I was able to provide information about the content of the data and dates, and in a matter of hours,  the email was changed on the backed.  This happened with Box.com, AWS, Binance, Gemini, Bank of america, Fidelity, Netflix, Disney+, and JCP.com.  

If there is absolutely now way Dropbox can do the same, then I will have to accept the decision and move on.  But several of other online providers were able to do so and I'm a bit taken back that Dropbox is being hesitant AFTER providing details about the data and content which can be verified on your end in a matter of seconds.  

Let me know what my next steps should be?

Jay
Dropboxer
I've sent you an email to the account associated with your forum profile. Please could you reply to it as soon as possible.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Dallas1971
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay - I replied from the new email and your previously reply two days ago.  I'm following up to see what our next steps are. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Dallas1971 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?