cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emailed changed due to name change - can't reset password/change email on dropbox

Highlighted

Emailed changed due to name change - can't reset password/change email on dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

My workemail has been changed due to name-change after marriage. I thus can't access the old email. I can't remember my password to dropbox, but since I can't access the old email I can't change the email associated with the account nor reset my password. I am logged in on the connected computer, but need to enter password in order to change email.

How to solve this?

/August

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Emailed changed due to name change - can't reset password/change email on dropbox

Super User II

@AugustC wrote:

How can I get into contact with support? There only seems to be a bot I can interact with and no actual support.

The Support page shows the support options that are available to your account level. For Basic accounts, the options are this community, help articles and the chat bot, with no options for contacting Support directly.

For logon issues, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for sign in issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Emailed changed due to name change - can't reset password/change email on dropbox

Super User II

@AugustC wrote:

My workemail has been changed due to name-change after marriage.

Ask your company to add an alias of your old email address to your current email account. This is standard practice when a name change occurs, so you continue to receive email sent to the previous address. It should be very easy for them to do.

Failing their ability to do that, refer to the following help article:

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hey,

Yes the old email was active for 6months forwarding mail to me. But now its completely deactived as far as I have understood. I usually just use the desktop version of dropbox, and I'm by default logged into the browser so didn't realise that the old email was still the one registered on the account.

To be able to reset the email according to that link you sent it seems that I have to log out of the browser. That feels a bit scarry since I then can't log in again. Additionally all information on that link that regardes resetting a password without having access to the email connected to the account is related to when a password has expired. Are you sure it works also if the password hasn't expired?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I tried the steps in the article, but when I press "I can’t recover my account using this page" I'm just sent to an info-page rather than being able to reset password via a connected device. How can I get into contact with support? There only seems to be a bot I can interact with and no actual support.

Specifically I am sent to: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/password-reset

Rather than to have a notification sent to my linked device (desktop)

Highlighted

Super User II

@AugustC wrote:

How can I get into contact with support? There only seems to be a bot I can interact with and no actual support.

The Support page shows the support options that are available to your account level. For Basic accounts, the options are this community, help articles and the chat bot, with no options for contacting Support directly.

For logon issues, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for sign in issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?