cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encryption used by Dropbox?

Encryption used by Dropbox?

adoo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I would like to know what level of encryption if any is used by Dropbox for user space on the DB servers or during file transmission between different computers. Also does DB encrypt the data on the user hard drive? I work for a company and some files are classified. I want more peace-of-mind while using DB.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi @adoo, here are some of the facts as far as I know on the topic: 

1. On transit, your data is encrypted using 128-bit or higher Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption and travels via TLS/SSL.
  2. Your data is stored in the Dropbox servers as random data blocks and encrypted using 256 bit AES.
  3. Note that the data is encrypted by Dropbox on your behalf and therefore not end-to-end encrypted.
  4. Dropbox maybe forced to hand over your data to law enforcement/governments if provided with a court order.
  5. If you are worried aobut No. 4 scenario, you must encrypt your data yourself prior to uploading to Dropbox server. For example, you may use a third party tool like Truecrypt, Veracrypt etc. But this comes as a price of convenience.
  6. Your data are not encrypted localy on your device hard drive by Dropbox. You should protect the local data yourself. Most operating sysmtems give ways to do this, for example, in Windows you may turn on BitLocker; in MacOS you have File Vault. As far as your OS account is secured by password, and/or biometric, and/or 2FA, your local data is safe.

You may read more about Dropbox business security here https://www.dropbox.com/business/trust/security/architecture

View solution in original post

oscarcbas
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
On transit, your data is encrypted using 128-bit or higher Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption and travels via TLS/SSL.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
You can read up more details about how your data is protected on our servers here.

Regarding the second query, local encryption on your hard drive isn’t offered by Dropbox, you’d need a third party app to encrypt your files for you.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

3 Replies 3

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi @adoo, here are some of the facts as far as I know on the topic: 

1. On transit, your data is encrypted using 128-bit or higher Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption and travels via TLS/SSL.
  2. Your data is stored in the Dropbox servers as random data blocks and encrypted using 256 bit AES.
  3. Note that the data is encrypted by Dropbox on your behalf and therefore not end-to-end encrypted.
  4. Dropbox maybe forced to hand over your data to law enforcement/governments if provided with a court order.
  5. If you are worried aobut No. 4 scenario, you must encrypt your data yourself prior to uploading to Dropbox server. For example, you may use a third party tool like Truecrypt, Veracrypt etc. But this comes as a price of convenience.
  6. Your data are not encrypted localy on your device hard drive by Dropbox. You should protect the local data yourself. Most operating sysmtems give ways to do this, for example, in Windows you may turn on BitLocker; in MacOS you have File Vault. As far as your OS account is secured by password, and/or biometric, and/or 2FA, your local data is safe.

You may read more about Dropbox business security here https://www.dropbox.com/business/trust/security/architecture

oscarcbas
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
On transit, your data is encrypted using 128-bit or higher Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption and travels via TLS/SSL.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
You can read up more details about how your data is protected on our servers here.

Regarding the second query, local encryption on your hard drive isn’t offered by Dropbox, you’d need a third party app to encrypt your files for you.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    oscarcbas New member | Level 2
    Elixir Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?