cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to disable Dropbox pop-up Upgrade message on my Windows at Start-up

Erroneous "Your Dropbox is full" message

AndyL
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am getting a regular "Your Dropbox is full" pop-up - but I have plenty of space.

This 'appears' to have become a problem since I've added a Work dropbox - though that meay be a red herring.

I get the message despite my personal dropbox only showing 6.6GB  of 8.88GB used and my work dropbox showing 300.7MB of 2GB used.

126 Replies 126

ashleyh4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Why?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You'd have to ask Support.

TwoOrMoreChars
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So... drop box has taken to spamming Win7 users with a pop up ad that steals focus from other windows, sitting on top of whatever the user is actually trying to work on, and left no way to opt out?  Right then, time to delete drop box, it's outlived it's usefulness...

kens
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I've only gotten this message once (unsurprisingly after I temporarily maxed out my storage sharing one massive file). If I keep getting these annoying popups, I'm going to switch to one of the other 800 services that does the same thing as Dropbox and doesn't pester me for a subscription plan I don't need or want. It infuriates me that Windows allows this crap in the first place.

TwoOrMoreChars
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

And do I really need to say how wrong "That notification cannot be disabled" is from a design perspective? So dropbox feels they can control the behavior of my machine? Not control their own app on my machine, but control the way OTHER apps dispaly on my machine, but covering them with a [profanity removed] ad?

Any other program that did this would be called malicious... A virus. But dropbox thinks it's a-ok to do?

And yes, I asked this of support. My first ticket they sent an automated response that had nothing to do with the question and closed the ticket. My follwup they sent a set of procedures that reference clicking on options that don't actually exist in their own preference screen. I responded to that with screen shots asking them to clarify, but 6 days in now with no simple answer means I'm not holding my breath.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

First, please refrain from using that kind of language on this public forum. Continuing to do so could see your posts removed or your forum account suspended. Thank you. Your post has been edited.

TwoOrMoreChars wrote:

So dropbox feels they can control the behavior of my machine?

They're not controlling your computer's behavior. They're controlling their own application. It's the application that is presenting the window, not your operating system. It's simply coming to the forground, just like so many other applications when they present a dialog while the application is not in focus. It's nothing new, and certainly not malicious.

If anyone has a problem with how a dialog is presented in a program, then they should blame Microsoft/Apple for allowing applications to take focus when out of focus.

thisme
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Are you clueless why someone doesn't want repetitive pop up notifications every time they turn on their computer? Seems pretty straightforward to me.  

Don't just say, "why?"

kens
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
No, Rich, it is using the notification API within Windows to present the pop up. I have since blocked Dropbox's access to this portion of Windows, and that has essentially eliminated my problem.

Press start and type "notifications" then turn Dropbox off.

ashleyh4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I've gone to the Notifications section in Windows 7 and selected "Hide Icon and Notifications" and it still hasn't stopped DropBox pop-up

TwoOrMoreChars
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox support finally did answer me and Rich is correct - there is no way to disable this notification.  So instead I disabled dropbox.  Problem solved!

Need more support?