cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Expired password - frustration

Expired password - frustration

DanielleJB
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Tried to log in on one computer when I received notification that my password expired.

Was still logged into my account on another computer. Tried to change the password and it wouldn't take.

I can't access my email address linked with Dropbox, because it no longer exists.  Which happened at the same time Dropbox expired my password.

Created a new account and was transferring files over when my computer rebooted and logged me out.

Have tried every option, including contacting support (Ticket #12385790) in which I was told to log into my account to see what my support options were. WHAT THE HECK? How am I supposed to do that when I am locked out. Someone obviously didn't read my issue.

I use Dropbox for the cloud feature and to store important documents, etc.  I am hopeful that someway, somehow, someone can help me.  I know my old password and can provide detailed answers to any questions.  

Please help. Thank you.

35 Replies 35

Jludvigson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Jay can you help me? I am so heartbroken. I had all of my sons baby photos stored on a Dropbox that was linked to an email account that is no longer valid. I went to log in and it said the password is expired and it will send a link to the non existant email! I can give a ton of information, login, previous password, anything!! I am terrified I lost my sons photos forever 💔 😢 using my husband's login to get to this forum and ask for help...

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Jludvigson, try contacting the support team directly from the account you're logged in as, explaining that you need assistance accessing another account due to an expired password.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lukems
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem, won't receive any email to reset password and can't access my account, can someone help me please? My ticked ID: #15170708

Candacejack
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Why hasn't anyone from Dropbox responded to my tickets, I have several?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Candacejack, in order to look into this matter in more detail, would it be possible to reach out to the email associated with your forum profile?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Candacejack
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
@Jay Yes, the email address I have connected to this forum is good to respond to.

As mentioned before I have Dropbox tickets (14685434, 14711125) dated back to September and October 2021 have yet to be responded to. I've also sent several follow-up emails asking for status/someone to contact me.

My old email is inactive, however, I know the password connected to that email. I need my pictures please...so many memories to be lost by the hands of people(s) making non-user friendly decisions at Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Candacejack I'm afraid Dropbox have publicly said that without access to the email address the account is unrecoverable. Thats probably why the tickets are being closed without reply - because they are sending the reply to the other email address. There is no way to verify who you are without your email. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Candacejack
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi @Mark which doesn't make any sense...other apps give you the option to change your email - personal information etc., as long as you know your old email and password (phone# if applicable); These companies are smart enough to realize things like an email being hacked and needing to be closed or other valid reasons. Why can't Dropbox do this? I know my old email and password, however, they expired it, this is their wrong doing that they need to fix. Dropbox really needs to be held accountable for ruining the trust people had in their app. I'm upset along with many others that can't access their pictures or files. My children's pictures from birth are on here, I have no other early memories. There has to be some sort of ladder or legal action someone can or has already taken? @Jay

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Unsure on legal action etc. but I do know that this is stated in the T&Cs - you need to have an active email account to use the system. If you dont then you cannot guarantee access. 

There public statement on this is at : https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-tips-tricks/I-lost-access-to-my-email-address-how-do-I-sign-...

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Candacejack
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
@Mark Thanks such BS. The email I had was a school email (Technical College) and the school has been closed for some years now...no other way. @Jay
Need more support?