cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expired password

sharonzhao2
Explorer | Level 3

My other dropbox account's password has been expired by dropbox. It is an old college email address I no longer have access to nor will I ever be able to regain access to. I have the correct password before the expiration. I used dropbox to store a lot of important documents because I placed a lot of trust in dropbox's product and its security policies. But I can no longer access these document for the exact reason. 

I was able to send in the above request through a technical support option with another email address, and the agent opened a ticket for me and emailed to ask some security questions. Her instructions was to reply directly to her email to answer the question to see my options. However, when I replied to the agent, it seems that the ticket is closed and my reply was rejected because quote  "Replies to this email are routed to an unmonitored inbox and will not be answered by our support team."

I can no longer find a place on dropbox support to send in another technical support to talk to someone. So I am here, please send help on how I can regain access to my account, on how I can reopen the ticket, or on how I can issue a new ticket, folks!!

Many thanks.

P.S. Out of curiosity, why does dropbox have the right to expire our accounts or password? If it's for security reasons, it seems like people that this rule have kept away from the data are not "data thieves" but the data owners themselves.

43 Replies 43

Re: Expired password

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @sharonzhao2, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community. 

In general, Dropbox expires passwords periodically as a proactive security measure. You can find more information on this, here

If you don't have access to your email address, you can try resetting your password via a linked device. You can find the relevant steps and some additional suggestions in this article

However, since you mention that you contacted our Support team, could you let me know the ticket ID (eg. #1234567) associated so that I can have a look into this for you? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

I need help with my Dropbox account immediately and I already have a ticket, but it was closed

sharonzhao2
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Dropbox,

I create a Dropbox support ticket a while back but it was closed and my problem is unsolved. I understand there is priority but I really need help because it's critical, my ticket id is #10559126. I couldn't find anywhere on my page to track it or reopen it. Can you help?

Thank you for reply please.

Re: Expired password

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us, @sharonzhao2

I was able to find the ticket that you mention and can see that a member of my team replied to you. 

Could you have a look at your inbox and try replying to their message? 

Let me know if you have any trouble along the way, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PASSWORD EXPIRED [Cant Login Email]

mohdkamalbotox
Explorer | Level 4

Hello guys,

Why login got password expired ? 

Where I know the password and account for dropbox, but I can't login because it says my password is expired.

I can't access my email address linked with dropbox, because it no longer exists.

I dont have device signed into dropbox.

My ticket : #11875688

Re: PASSWORD EXPIRED [Cant Login Email]

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for posting @mohdkamalbotox!

I was able to locate your ticket with our Support team, and I can see this is with the right team to handle your case.

There isn't much more we can suggest from here, since it looks like you've checked all the relevant troubleshooting already.

Our team will be in touch as soon as possible via email to assist you further.

In the meantime, if you need anything else, don't hesitate to give me a nudge here!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

mohdkamalbotox
Explorer | Level 4
Thank you Team Dropbox,
I got back my Dropbox!
:star:️:star:️:star:️:star:️:star:️
Fast Response

jeffjeffy44
New member | Level 2

Daphne,

I am having the same issue as the other folks. 

I tried to log in to Dropbox and was prompted that my password was expired by Dropbox without any warning beforehand. I no longer have access to the email associated with the dropbox account. I also do not have any devices linked to the account. 

Ticket #11909042

Can you help?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for the ticket number @jeffjeffy44!

I was able to locate your ticket and passed along your comments from here. I can see that this is currently with the right team, and they'll be in touch with you via email as soon as possible.

If you need anything in the meantime, please don't hesitate to give me another nudge - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

R3D
Explorer | Level 4

Hey, I also have the same issue. My password has expired and I no longer have access to the email that was used to create the account. 

I don't have any devices linked to the account. 

Ticket #11919820

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gbell93 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?