cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding large files (like .PSDs and .MOVs etc..)

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi there, I'm trying to find the best way to find files that are large in folders and subfolders without having to go into each folder.

What is the simplest way to find these files? 

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Finding large files (like .PSDs and .MOVs etc..)

Super User II
Super User II

If your files are syncing to your computer, you can run various third-party utilites against it to find large files. I usually something that analyzes the entire drive, like SpaceMonger. If you're using the website, you can sort the files by size, but you'll still need to go into each folder.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Thanks Rich. I'm going to try a different solution, not sure if it's going to work.

1. I'm going to sync the folder to my computer (as I was only using the website).
2. I'm going to use Adobe Bridge and use the view feature "Show items of subfolders"
3. I'm going to sort by file size

Will let you know if this works. Of course Adobe Bridge is a paid for tool, but luckily the company I work at is paying for it.

Sidenote: I'm using a mac.
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

That should work. You could even just search for all files in the Dropbox folder within Finder (on Windows, you search for *.* and it shows everything, not sure of the equivelent on a Mac), and then sort them by Size Descending.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?