cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Space Race was a SCAM!

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

It was pretty clear that the Space Race was free storage for a limited time.

In fact, they extended the period of their free storage (see Section 3 update from their terms: https://www.dropbox.com/spacerace/terms)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

First I got 10GB taken away from the Hour of Code participation a month ago. That was apparently a one year promotion that they did NOT make clear from day one (only on day 366). Now they pulled my "earned" storage from the Great Space Race. At least this time they gave me a heads up (unlike last time). The thing is I really, really liked Dropbox. I did. I was a huge Dropbox advocate. But I can now only assume that the remaining storage that I still have will be pulled too. Damn.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I understand dropbox needs to make money but their pricing is nowhere near googledrive its a shame for me to have to leave dropbox because of the space race bonus disappearing.

If they were as competitive, I might have thought twice. Call me a freeloader but at the end of the day, my monthly credit card statements will be the one laughing and thanking me for making this move.

Such a shame for me to leave dropbox. I was one of the earlier users almost 7 years ago and I started referring many of my classmates who had no idea how and what the cloud was. Farewell!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Bad Karma for Dropbox... Free users use dropbox for personal use... but they adversite dropbox for bussiness solutions.
Now, people like me... Will look for other solutions, and belive me, its not only free users they will loose.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I looked up the past Dropbox space race emails, they were giving away more and more asking for more and more referrals, initially they state it's for 2-years but then just advertise the more space, I don't think anyone remembers about the limited time thing. First asking people to enroll advertising the more space, getting people used to it, then taking it away. At least 90% will stay. may be 5% will upgrade to pro and that is how business works. It's a shame. At least Dropbox could offer more space to start with, after shaving off the promotional space; all other alternatives give at least 10-15GB for free. I don't even have 3GB so I don't have issues whether they give it or not but thinking about the approach, I will switch to another one unless they realize how bad advertisement they are making and they do something about it...
Regards.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

What a shame. Time to switch.

Helpful | Level 5

It was not a scam. But, I would really like Dropbox to offer us a cheaper/less storage option than the 1TB one. The space race gave us a few GBs, but now the alternative is between paying for 1TB or leave to the competition. I love Dropbox but I am seriously tempted. I am ok paying a bit (like $2 a month) for 100GB, like Google Drive but don't see the point of paying more for a TB.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I love Dropbox and I would pay a reasonable amount for, let's say, 50 or 100 GB. Many people that took part in the space race competition were students and staff of universities. Did Dropbox realize that Google Drive offers unlimited storage for free for educational institutions?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Student here. Just finished migrating all my files from Dropbox to Drive. Only drawbacks are (1) no current linux client for Drive, and (2) no differential upload/syncing. But these drawbacks are far outweighed by the benefit of unlimited storage without an expiration date.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

@Jon T. : You mean those drawbacks that are less important than YOU getting free stuff eh?
Because they seem pretty big drawbacks.
Unix machines not having a client is NOT out weighed by the unlimited space THEY CANT USE!
Differential syncing unable to complete before file updates occurring also seems a pretty big drawback.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?