cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeing up Dropbox space

Freeing up Dropbox space

andrewclark55
Helpful | Level 5

@Lusil said

>That’s right, shared folders take up space in both the sender’s and the receiver’s storage.

I volunteer with a charity that previously shared multiple folders in its Dropbox account with me.

One of these is taking up 14GB of my storage and I no longer need access to it.  I have tried un-selecting it in Selective Sync but that has not reduced my storage used which is now approaching my limit.

How can I get round this and free up the space from these unwanted files and folders?

TIA

Andrew

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Freeing up Dropbox space

andrewclark55
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Lusil 

Interesting that you should suggest a reboot...

I normally put my main PC to Sleep overnight but yesterday it needed a Win 10 Update so I did that and shut it down.

This morning, Lo and Behold, it is now showing the correct allocation with 26% only of my space being used.

It looks as if Dropbox Client was not updating the figures on recovery from Sleep.  Possibly it had a hung process?

Either way it is now sorted and I think I now also have a better understanding of how it works.

Many thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Mark
Super User II

Selective Sync just removes it from that single device, it doesnt remove it from your account or any other devices. 

You actively need to leave, and then delete, the shared folder if you no longer need access: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/leave-shared-folder

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

andrewclark55
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Mark

Thanks for your speedy response.

I have removed the share in my name on the 14GB folder causing the problem using the charity's Dropbox credentials using the "People with access to <folder>" and then "Remove" against my name and that share no longer appears for selection in Selective Sync on my PC.

However Dropbox is still reporting that my space usage has not decreased:-

"Using 19.5 of 21.3GB storage"

Is there some kind of time lag before this updates?

Mark
Super User II

Have you checked its been removed from www.dropbox.com/h ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

andrewclark55
Helpful | Level 5

Not entirely sure what dropbox.com/h is but just to be clear I DON'T want to delete the folder from the charity's Dropbox account, just from mine.  Others still need access to it.

That page DOES show the folder under "Starred" in their account.  But I think that is intended.

andrewclark55
Helpful | Level 5

I'm still seeing warnings that I need to upgrade my space.

And I'm still apparently using 19.4GB out of 21.3GB of space, but only have 4GB stored on my local machines.  so nothing has changed at all as a result of un-sharing the 14GB folder in the Charity's Dropbox account.

Can anyone throw some light on what is wrong here and how to correct it?

Regards

Andrew

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @andrewclark55, the 4GB shown locally is only what you have downloaded to your device's storage. 

Could you send us a screenshot of what the Plan tab shows online? That will give us a better image of what is taking up quota on your account as a whole. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

andrewclark55
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Lusi

That is indeed interesting.  It shows only 5.35GB used out of my total of 21.3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9kjttej6rmcwrn/Screenshot%202021-04-13%2015.14.05.png?dl=0 

whereas my popup shows 19.4GB used.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ej6tfndozuxmyhz/Screenshot%202021-04-13%2015.14.23.png?dl=0 

Are you able to explain the difference, please?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Could you also double-check that you're logged in to the same account on both the web and the desktop app?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

andrewclark55
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Lusil

Yes, I have three devices running my personal Dropbox account (the one with 21.3GB of space)

I separately have one machine running the Charity Dropbox account which has a Business or Professional account (with 1 or 2TB IIRC).  I use it to back up all the Charity's files and mainly keep it offline for security, only powering it up every week or so to Sync.

Pretty sure I am therefore keeping them separate.  And yes, the Personal Account is the same Login on both web and Desktop as shown on the screenshot I posted.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    andrewclark55 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?