cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friends get "Full Dropbox" message when it's not

Highlighted

Friends get "Full Dropbox" message when it's not

New member | Level 2
I have a 1T Dropbox. My account settings tell me I've used 2GB (including shared files) and have 98% left, but friends are trying to add photos and are getting an error message saying the box is full. What's going on?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Friends get "Full Dropbox" message when it's not

Super User II
Hi

YOU have a 1TB account.

THEY do not. They have a 2gb account.

Therefore the quota error message is correct.

For info see https://www.dropbox.com/help/9017

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Super User II
Hi

YOU have a 1TB account.

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey bsavage

Glad to help you clarify, please let me rephrase. 

Your Dropbox storage quota is calculated by adding up the total amount of data in your Dropbox folder, including all shared folders and files collected from file requests. This applies to both upgraded and non-upgraded accounts, so if you’d like to work on a 3GB shared folder, a Dropbox Basic user won’t be able to join, since it’ll put him/ her above his/ her storage quota because space cannot be transferred between personal accounts

If you'd like to ask more about it, just let me know here! 

Cheers, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Super User

@Mark wrote:
Hi

YOU have a 1TB account.

Right on! You probably have a business account while they have a free account with the default 2 GB of space.

Highlighted

Super User II
More than likely a Pro account.

Business accounts (usually) have way more than 1TB - the newest plans starts with 2TB for example across all accounts.

- - -

Highlighted

Super User

Yes, I was more thinking a paid account which I did not name Pro. So you are correct.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
I have a similar problem: my company has 2TB of storage space, and we as employees have our own private dropbox accounts (2GB) which have access to the shared company account.
2 of my colleagues (that have no data on their private dropbox space) get a message saying their dropbox is full.
If they only upload on to the company dropbox, how can it be that they get a message saying that THEIR dropbox is full? They have 2GB of storage, not 2GB of traffic, right?
Highlighted

Super User II

@Dj_NRG wrote:
If they only upload on to the company dropbox, how can it be that they get a message saying that THEIR dropbox is full?

Because they're not only uploading to the company Dropbox. They're uploading to a shared folder that also exists in their own account. Any files you upload to a shared folder count against your own storage.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Hi Rich,

Thx for the answer.
So the way I see it there are 3 options:
1: each member upgrades their account (not gonna happen)
2: I send all of them a shared link (will the be able to keep using the app on their phones the way we do now..?)
3: I make them all members of our business dropbox team (how do I do this and is there a limit on the amount of members..?)

Grtz,

Nico
Highlighted

Super User II

A share link would allow them to download the files, but they wouldn't be able upload files back to the company account (share links are view/download only).

If your company has a Business account, you could add them as team members. The number of members available to your team depends on the number of licenses purchased. Your team admin would know or have access to that information.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?