cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Apple monthly subscription to 1-year license code

Highlighted

From Apple monthly subscription to 1-year license code

New member | Level 2

I currently have a monthly recurring subscription for Plus through Apple. I just purchased a license key on Amazon for 1 year of Plus. Essentially this will save me some $40 a year.

I am a bit confused on the conversion process though. Do I enter the code in the billing section of my account, then cancel the Apple subscription? Vice versa? I just want to switch from Apple billing me monthly over to this 1-year license without losing my data or messing my account up. I did read all of the help topics, but this seems to be the one thing that I can’t find- or I am not understanding clearly.

Do I need to wait until the account converts from Plus back to Basic after cancelling the Apple subscription to apply the code? Do I apply the code before canceling the Apple one?

Does support need to change this manually for me?

I just don’t want to screw this up and mess my account up, lose access to my data, or somehow invalidate the code I paid for by entering it wrong or at the wrong time/sequence.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: From Apple monthly subscription to 1-year license code

New member | Level 2
Finally found what I was looking for in the help:

Promotional license keys are redeemable for recurring payment methods only (usually credit cards).

Make sure you’re not using Apple or iOS payments, Google Play, or a PayPal subscription.

If you are currently using one of these methods, you’ll need to update your billing method to claim a license key offering.

If you already have a recurring payment method, or if you have changed your billing method, the license key for the Dropbox subscription will take effect when your current subscription ends.

For any future viewers with this same question, see:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/billing/promotion-license-key

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
Finally found what I was looking for in the help:

Promotional license keys are redeemable for recurring payment methods only (usually credit cards).

Make sure you’re not using Apple or iOS payments, Google Play, or a PayPal subscription.

If you are currently using one of these methods, you’ll need to update your billing method to claim a license key offering.

If you already have a recurring payment method, or if you have changed your billing method, the license key for the Dropbox subscription will take effect when your current subscription ends.

For any future viewers with this same question, see:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/billing/promotion-license-key

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I am in the exact same situation as you. My App Store subscription just ended, but my Dropbox billing page still says that my subscription is being handled by Apple, and there is no way to add a credit card. I got the following email from Dropbox:

We're having trouble with your recent Dropbox Plus payment. Don't worry, you still have access to your account, but you'll need to visit the App Store to update your payment details. Apple handles the billing for subscriptions started through the iOS app.

Once your info gets updated, we'll re-bill you through the App Store. Or, your account will automatically downgrade to our Basic plan after October 25, 2019. Your files won't get deleted, but you'll have less storage space—from 2,000 GB to 2 GB.

How were you able to update your billing method from the App Store over to a credit card? Did you have to wait until your plan downgraded to Basic? Or can I just redeem my license code right now?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
Wish I could remember, this was well over a year ago- sorry. I believe what I did was cancel the subscription through Apple and let it expire. As it says, you will not lose your data.

Then I believe I just added the code. I never put in any card info, I know that much.

So basically just cancel through Apple- maybe I had to wait some short period or time for everything to expire for sure, then I applied the code and it worked.

Sorry I can’t remember more clearly, but that seems to be the idea of what I did.
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hello everyone. 

Please find the steps to cancel a subsription you purchases on a mobile device here: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/cancellations-refunds/cancel-mobile

Cheers!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?