cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked Account - Changed Password and Email Address

Hacked Account - Changed Password and Email Address

RL99
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, I have a client that had his account compromised and they changed his password and email address, so he is locked out. I started a case under his email address on Monday (2/15/21) at 10:30am Eastern time and no one has responded. He has important files and need to recover them, the more that time goes by makes me nervous that he won't get them back. Whatever he needs to do to validate the account, we will. The last Dropbox email he received was that they change his email address.  I have created multiple tickets with no response, can someone please respond to me or to the email on these tickets, I can't believe that there is no way to reach out to someone or get someone to respond!!!

Ticket #12055419 - Original

Ticket #12080522 

Ticket #12080888 

Ticket #12080895 

Ticket #12083671 

13 Replies 13

Re: Hacked Account - Changed Password and Email Address

Mark
Super User II

Have you checked what the status of the tickets are at ZenDesk? http://dropbox.zendesk.com? Its possible that as you have logged so many you are simply moving yourself to the end of the queue each time and not giving Dropbox time to reply - replies usually take at least a few working days if its on a free account. 

However, what I would also say is prepare for the worst so start making sure your client is restoring from backups and other sources in case the account is unrecoverable.  

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

RL99
Explorer | Level 3

It's a paid account and when I go to your link, it did allow me to reset the password on the Zendesk, but it brings me back to the same support page, and wants me to login with his Dropbox account info, which has been hacked???  I feel like we are in a hamster wheel with the support page.  He only has some of his file and really need access to all of them.  Is there anyone on this board that will be able to look into and reply to these tickets, or at least the original one?

Thanks.

Mark
Super User II

You need to log in to the account with the email that has been used to submit the tickets (request a reset on the email that was used to log tickets)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

RL99
Explorer | Level 3

I did do it with his email address and did receive the password reset on his Dropbox Zendesk account, but when I click on the Zendesk link in a different browser and logged in as him, it puts me back to the support page with no ticket info listed.

https://www.dropbox.com/support#ticket_list_anchor

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @RL99,  does the user have access to the email address itself?

If so, I’d recommend  them getting in contact with our support team directly by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into any account, and accessing this link.

From there they should be able to contact support. Make sure to enter the same email they used to login to Dropbox.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RL99
Explorer | Level 3

The user has access to his original email address through his email provider, the problem is that the hacker change the main email address and password in Dropbox, so there is no way for him to login through the Dropbox website.  When I click on the link you sent, it's looking for him to login with his email and password, which he is locked out from. I did already go through the can't sign in route and created the original ticket last Monday (2/15/21) at 10:30am Eastern time and no one has responded. I waited until Thursday and then stated creating multiple tickets because I was just trying to get anyone to respond.  The user was using a Plus account, just so you know.  Here are the ticket numbers I have created:

Ticket #12055419 - Original Ticket Monday (2/15/21) at 10:30am Eastern time 

Ticket #12080522

Ticket #12080888

Ticket #12080895

Ticket #12083671

Ticket #12084110 - Last Ticket Created

Thanks.

Jay
Dropboxer
Did you open the link in an incognito window as mentioned previously, or while not currently logged into any Dropbox account?

Did you enter their email address so that they can respond to the ticket when they receive it, and so the support team can verify the identity of the user?

You don't need to login to any account to file a support ticket related to logging in, 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RL99
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, that's what I did to create the tickets, I wasn't logged in on any Dropbox account and I was in an Incognito Session when I created the tickets, they have not responded??

When I reply back to the automatic email that provides me the ticket info, I get this:

Ticket #12101793: Re: DB: Hacked Workstation and Hacked Dropbox

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to Dropbox support. Replies to this email are routed to an unmonitored inbox and will not be answered by our support team.

Your technical support options depend on what kind of account you have. To see the support options for your account, log in and go to https://dropbox.com/support.

In the meantime, why not check out our help centre at https://help.dropbox.com/learn/faqs for FAQs, how-to articles and more or why not reach out to our Dropbox community https://www.dropboxforum.com where you can get answers and discover new ways to use Dropbox.

The Dropbox Support team

Are you having issues logging into your account? Try our sign in FAQs
Have a payments or billing question? Try our payments FAQs
Think you want to cancel or have a cancelation question? Try our cancelations FAQs
Security or privacy question? Try our security FAQs

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL EMAIL I RECEIVED:

Dropbox (Dropbox Support) <support@dropbox.zendesk.com>
Mon 2/15/2021 10:34 AM
##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Ticket #12055419: DB: Hacked Workstation and Hacked Dropbox

You can add a response by replying to this email. Please be sure to reply with the same email address that you used to originally contact us.

You can also reply by logging in to your customer portal at https://dropbox.com/support.

Feb 15, 2021, 7:34 AM PST:

I had a breach at my office and they changed my password and the email on file, which is not mine. I still have access to my current email address through my email provider.

Error String: Password is incorrect

Thanks.

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the message. I've located one of the active tickets and have forwarded it to the team which could provide additional assistance.

Please ask them to check their inbox or spam folder for any further replies.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?