cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has my account been hacked?

Has my account been hacked?

DBcommunityFORUM
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have had a dropbox account since approx 2013.  It eventually became full, I never bothered to upgrade and stopped using it. The account name is account1@hotmail.com

In August 2020 a friend of mine opened another dropbox account which we wanted to share with a few other people as we were working on a project together.  The account name is account2@gmail.com

Today I noticed when I logged into the account2@gmail.com account that all of our saved files were gone and that there were 3 videos that were saved years ago in the account1@hotmail.com account found in the account2@gmail.com account?

Both accounts have their own different email addresses and different passwords so how is this possible.  The account1@hotmail.com account hasn’t been accessed in years so its impossible for me to add the videos from that account to the account2@gmail.com account. Is this a hack.  What are the signs of hacking.  Has anyone experienced this specific kind of issue before

Thanking you all for any assistance that you can give.

9 Replies 9

Re: Has my account been hacked?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @DBcommunityFORUM, thanks for reaching out. 

Were any of the files from the first account shared with anybody else that could have had access to the second one?

Do you still have access the original account and its files by any chance?

Also, checking your accounts' events page may give us some more info on this.  

Give me a nudge with any updates, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DBcommunityFORUM
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

No, none of the files from the first account were shared with anybody else that could have had access to the second one.  The second account had its own files in it at first and looked as I would have expected it to look two months ago.  But when I logged in yesterday evening I noticed that they had all been deleted and were replaced with 3 files that were in my first account.  There are around 4 other people that have access to the second account but what does not make sense is how files from the first account could be seen in the second account.  Only I have access to the first account and did not share any files.  The account had not been touched for years.  Can you explain how what has happened is possible when these are different accounts with different usernames and different passwords.  Are you familiar with this happening before?  

Yes I do still have access the original account but I deleted the files in it as they were personal and should never have been in the second account.  

What do you mean by "checking your accounts' events page may give us some more info on this.".  I have checked and cannot find any "events page".  Can you be more specific please?

Will I be able to get the files back that were in the second account?  

Thanks

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @DBcommunityFORUM!

The events page was linked within the words by Lusil, but I'll add it here for convenience too: www.dropbox.com/events 

From there, you can see all the events relating to your files, including when they were added to your account.

This log should give a better insight as to what happened to the previous files, and when these 3 other files were added.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DBcommunityFORUM
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for the events link which shows when files were added/deleted but it does not show which users did this as there were other people that also had authorised access to the account. Is it possible to see the activity of each user?

What is also very important to know is how the 3 files that were in my old unused personal account found in the second account which was a shared account. The events page that you supplied dosen't give any information on this. I have asked twice and you still haven't answered me. How can files that were in the old unused account be found in the second account when they are different accounts with different usernames and different passwords.  Are you familiar with this happening before?  Do you know what could have caused it?

Thanking you

DBcommunityFORUM
Explorer | Level 3

Also can I retrieve the files that were deleted back again.  I have tried to no avail.

Thanks

DBcommunityFORUM
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I am still trying to get a reply to the 2 messages that I sent to you last Friday.  Can you respond please?

Thanks

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @DBcommunityFORUM, could you clarify if you were sharing credentials to the same Dropbox account, or if you were using shared folders which each user had access to?

You can recover any files deleted within the last 30 days from this page.

This will help me assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

DBcommunityFORUM
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Only I had access to the first account. It had not been used for years so I am not 100% certain whether it contained shared folders but even if it did they would have been folders that had been shared years ago.

The second account is a new one that was set up by a colleage for me and others to have access to. We shared the same login credentials to the account and we shared folders in the account which each user had access to?

Are we anywhere near knowing how the 3 files that were in my old unused personal account were found in the second account which was a shared account because the Dropbox events page that was supplied by your colleage dosen't give any information on this. 

I keep asking this question but it never gets answered so I am asking again.  Are you familiar with this happening before?  Do you know what could have caused it?

Thanking you

Jay
Dropboxer

Since it sounds like you're sharing a Dropbox account, this is a violation of the Terms of Service and could result in the account being terminated.

For security reasons, and reasons such as these where you're unsure who uploaded the files, this is why it isn't recommended to share an account.

Regarding the files, since we have no information on how they appeared on your account, or from which device or user, there isn't anything else we can suggest.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    DBcommunityFORUM Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?