cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I add my device if I don't have access to my credentials?

Highlighted

How can I add my device if I don't have access to my credentials?

New member | Level 2

My user name is a closed email account and I have lost the password. I need to record my current email address with Dropbox, but any request for resetting password I assume will go to the closed email address. Dropbox is working fine around my current email and it is synced to other devices.

However, I have a new device to add on and when I try to do it on new device, it requires username and a password which I don't have.

If I request a change password, I expect the new password will go the old email address.

As a solution, can I add a second email (being current active one) without need to use the password. If so, then I request change of password and will the advice go to both  my current and closed email addresses. If so I can then change the password.

Any help is appreciated.

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: greg25

Dropboxer

Hi there @Greg25, thanks for reaching out to us about this!

In general, each Dropbox account is associated with one email address.

If you don't have access to the email address and you don't remember your password, but you still have your account actively linked on a device, try following these steps

Also, if you're on a Basic (free) account, you've got more than three devices linked and you want to add a new one, you'll have to first unlink currently linked devices down to less than three to link the new one. You can find more info about this here

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?