cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I become the team admin when the admin has left?

Highlighted

How can I become the team admin when the admin has left?

Explorer | Level 3

Our admin left and we have no access to his account. How can I become admin ?

19 Replies 19
Highlighted

Re: How can I become the team admin when the admin has left?

Dropboxer

Hi @Pedal, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

If your team has another admin, you'll need to ask them to give you admin rights

However, if the user you mention was the only admin in the team and you are able to contact them, you can reach out to them (as the current admin) directly and have them change the roles

If there are no other admins in your team and this comes to a dead-end for you, you can always contact our Support team for further assistance on the matter. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

our situation is that we are whitout admin actually and we can not reach out to the former admin. Are there no possibilities that your team can help us?

Thanks 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Pedal, and sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this. 

Your technical support options depend on what kind of account you have. To see yours, simply log in and go to this link

If you have trouble contacting our team, just give me another nudge and I'll be more than happy to help. Cheers!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Lusil ,

thanks for your time but as I have only the basic account I'm not really coming further to a solution. Is there any chance you can help me directly by changing my role into admin. For us its a big problem because we are whitout admin and we have to add some more collegues to the team.

Thank you

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Since you mention that you're on a Basic account, could you clarify if you also have another account that's part of a Business team (which doesn't have another admin) or if you are referring to a shared folder? 

Keep me posted, @Pedal!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Seems as though im having the same problem as @pedal. We also have a basic account, and i need to be put in charge of sending and sharring the account with new members.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @mmarine, thanks for joining the topic!

Could you just clarify for me, since your account is currently a Basic one, did you previously have a Business account? Or do you have a Business account under another email address?

If you and your team simply all have Basic accounts, then you can upgrade your account to Business to be able to start setting up the team.

Let me know if this helps - cheers!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

we have a business account under a different email, with 9 other members. That individual is no longer with the company and his company email has been deleted. I need to be given access his dropbox account info, or someone to change my settings to become a co owner or be added as an admin, and get everything transferred over into my name and email. Then I can change the settings and become the sole owner.. At least thats what i think needs to happen.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here @mmarine, I must have missed the notification!

We wouldn't be able to give admin permissions to your account as the current admin has to take this action.

The best and guaranteed solution I could suggest would be to recreate the email address that the admin Dropbox account is currently under.

If you can recreate that email address, you can reset the account's password and sign into the Dropbox account. Then, you can make any changes you need such as giving admin permissions to another member of the team.

Otherwise, I would have to suggest reaching out to our Support team from one of the member account to see if they could possibly assist with this. You can reach out to them from here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?