cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I best go about downloading the content of my entire Dropbox account?

Highlighted

How can I best go about downloading the content of my entire Dropbox account?

New member | Level 2

I need to download the entire contents of my dropbox onto an exteral drive. But it's 105gb. whats the best way to do it?

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: download entire contents

Dropboxer
Hi Steve, there are two ways to do this.

Firstly you can download entire folders from the Dropbox site to any location you wish, though the folders can’t exceed 20 GB, or over 10,000 files.

If that isn’t possible, while it isn’t recommended for the long term, you could install the Dropbox desktop application and in the advanced settings have the location for the Dropbox folder to be on the external drive.

The app will then sync the files down from the site to the external drive normally. Make sure you don’t disconnect or power down the external drive unexpectedly, since it can lead to file deletion.

Once the files are all synced, unlink the computer from your account, this way disconnecting your external drive won’t result in any deletions from your account online.

Hope this info helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?