Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I cancel an unauthorized charge on my account via the Apple app store?

Explorer | Level 3

An unauthorized (recurring) charge of $9.99/month was just billed to my credit card, via the Apple app store.  It stated the charge was for "Dropbox Plus" for my son's free dropbox account, however, he did NOT request an "upgrade", as he rarely uses dropbox.

The timing of the charge was suspect.  I had been on the phone with Apple Support, asking them for help with accessing our family share Apple Music account on my laptop.  The Apple person suggested I try authorizing my credit card for family purchases.  About an hour later (!), this unauthorized charge was made against my credit card.  Since my son neither requested nor needs a Dropbox Plus account (we use other cloud storage programs.), it is unclear where this charge originated.

I immediately took off the Apple family share access off of my credit card.  I also emailed Dropbox support, requesting that the $9.99 be refunded to my credit card, and that no future charges be made.  I have not yet heard back from them.  

If necessary, I can contest the charge through my bank, and ask them to block future Dropbox charges.  I can also call Apple Support to ask them for their assistance,  but I prefer to handle this at the source - Dropbox - if possible.

Other than wait for a reply to my email, is there a way to handle this more efficiently?  I couldnt' find a customer support phone number.

I appreciate any support/advice with this!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Unauthorized charge on my account

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @catcher6, thanks for reaching out to us here!

When upgrades are made through your device's app store, the subscription is handled by them. I'd suggest checking out the steps listed here for cancelling the subscription.

You would need to contact Apple too for a refund for the charge, which you can find more info about here.

Having said that, I'd be happy to look into this with you on our end too. Would you mind letting me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567) you received when you reached out to our Support team?

Let me know!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne wrote:

Hi there @catcher6, thanks for reaching out to us here!

When upgrades are made through your device's app store, the subscription is handled by them. I'd suggest checking out the steps listed here for cancelling the subscription.

You would need to contact Apple too for a refund for the charge, which you can find more info about here.

Having said that, I'd be happy to look into this with you on our end too. Would you mind letting me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567) you received when you reached out to our Support team?

Let me know!

Hi, Daphne,

Thank you so  much for your quick response!  It's very comforting to know that Dropbox is so responsive to customer concerns.

I contacted APPLE, and they are taking care of everything, including reversing the charge.  It's good to know that they handle purchase problems handled through the their APP store, so that customers don't need to also contact the app companites directly.

I couldn't locate a case number for my customer support request from Dropbox.  Was I supposed to receive a confirmation email from them?  When I submitted my request, a message popped up saying my email had been submitted, but I didn't notice a case number (or think to take a screenshot of that message).

Thanks, again!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @catcher6!

I'm glad to hear that you're getting the assistance you need with this.

It's not a problem if you can't locate the ticket number, I wasn't able to find one from the email linked with your profile here either. 

If this went to our Support channel then a colleague of mine will follow up with you via email, I just won't be able to locate it to follow up myself.

If you need anything else in the meantime though, feel free to drop me a message here and I'll happily help out.

Have a great day!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?