cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I cancel and refund a charge from an account I don't have access to?

How can I cancel and refund a charge from an account I don't have access to?

applegatedt
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

Years ago, I worked for a company that had us all buy dropbox subscriptions and reimbursed us. I created an account using my work email and charged the annual subscription to my card.

Looking at my most recent bank statement, it looks like I am still being charged for this yearly subscription, but I left the company years ago, losing access to my work email, and therefore am locked out of my account. Nevertheless, it seems my credit card details live on, locked away in the account I can no longer access. I used the form here to request a cancelation for the charge, but since they ask for the associated account that I no longer have access to, I'm afraid they'll communicate with that dead email and I won't be able to confirm the cancelation.

Is there anything else I can do to flag this to their attention? If I don't see a refund on the credit card, I'm thinking I'll probably have to resort to a chargeback.

179 Replies 179

Re: Cancel and refund a charge from a locked-out account

applegatedt
Helpful | Level 5

Also, it says it's subscribed me to notifications of replies on this post and will send me an email, but this site never asked me for my email and nowhere in my settings or profile does it show me what it thinks my email is, let alone how to change it... :upside_down:

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @applegatedt; how are you today?

I was just wondering if you're still having issues with this and wanted to let you know that you can log a ticket with our team for further assistance. 

Also, note that you weren't asked for your email address since you were already logged into your Dropbox account and our Community's profile is using the same email address. The notifications you'll be receiving are the email ones you'll be getting when someone replies to your post or any post you subscribe to.  

If you'd like to chance the email address for your Dropbox account, you can do it via your account's settings online.

I hope this helps to some extent and please let me know if there's anything else I can assist with. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

applegatedt
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter, thanks for the reply.

The link you posted just takes me to a page with a bunch of help articles, then below that it redirects me either to an unhelpful chatbot or... back here to the community forums.

I've gone around in circles on the support site, but cannot find any way of submitting a support ticket.

It seems that I only have the basic account level access on this Dropbox account, but as I stated, the charge originated on a separate account tied to an email that I no longer have access to. Ironically, even though I seem to have paid for a years' worth of the pro account, I can't access the account to take advantage of the support options that would let me file a ticket to cancel the subscription and refund the charge.

Walter
Dropboxer

In that case, I'd suggest trying an incognito window.

When on this page, click on the 'Need help with a billing issue?' button and submit a Help Request from the relevant option at the bottom of the page and input your payment's information along with an email address we can reach you. 

Let me know how it goes please. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

How can I cancel my subscription on another account I have no access to?

cl00
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I have a dropbox plus subrscription linked with an old email that I have no access anymore. It was a small business and the email is no longer available since Jan 2019. I just realized that I have still being charged and tried to cancel the account. However, I can't log into dropbox. I tried to contact Dropbox online with my new email address, hoping to get feedback. I also call the phone number listed online but it is only for Dropbox business users.  I haven't received any respones from dropbox. It seems that I'm not the only person who has encountered this issue. Please let me know how I can cancel my account in this case. 

This shouldn't be a service that is only easy to sign up but impossible to cancel.

Re: How can I cancel my subscription on another account I have no access to?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @cl00; thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear about this.

As your inquiry echoes the OP here, I moved your post under this thread so as to ping you with some suggestions. 

Specifically, my last response where I mentioned the incognito option to contact our support team through the relevant form.

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

applegatedt
Helpful | Level 5

I still was not able to access my account (since I cannot access the email that the account is linked to, regardless of whether I would be in incognito mode or not, so I cannot reset the password), but the good news is that my submission on the form I linked to above seems to have done the trick. A credit on my card in the amount I was charged just showed up.

cl00
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply. I submitted the request today (4/7/2020) and hope to get feedback from dropbox within 1-2 business days as it suggests online.

I'm getting charged for a subscription from Dropbox, how can I stop it?

matt2kaiel
New member | Level 2

I'm getting charged for a dropbox account I didn't consent to.  I would like to chat with someone from Dropbox, but instead I'm here on the forum.  I informed my bank and changed my card number, but still I'm getting charged for an account.  Can someone contact me from dropbox?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    May30 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?