cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change my login account? Will it affect my earned space?

Highlighted

How can I change my login account? Will it affect my earned space?

Explorer | Level 3

Can I change my login account? If so, how can I change my login account? Is it by changing the personal email? If so, will the space previously earned by referring my friends still exist or be retained?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can I change my login account

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me on this, @hktkzyz

For you to log into your account, an email address and a password is required, those of which your Dropbox account is associated with. 

You can indeed change your email address and password if you want, but just to ensure, when you refer to:

@hktkzyz wrote:

but the login account is not the email address?

Could you please elaborate on this? If you also have any screenshots (omitting personal info) illustrating what you’re seeing, that would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for your feedback on this, @hktkzyz, I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration!

If you have any other thoughts you’d like me to forward, don’t hesitate to get back to me. 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey @hktkzyz

If you’re trying to change the email address on your Dropbox account:
  1. Sign in.
  2. Click the avatar at the top of any page.
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Under the General tab, find your email address.
  5. Click Edit.
  6. Enter your new email address, current email address, and password. 
  7. Click Update email.
You can find more info about this here

@hktkzyz wrote:

will the space previously earned by referring my friends still exist or be retained? 

Changing the email address of your account doesn’t affect earned space. You can see space you have available and earned by referring to the Account tab

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I still have some confusion, I know how to change the email address, but the login account is not the email address? That changed the email address, isn't it changing the login account?
Just like many websites, it is generally not allowed to change the login account.
If the email address of the dropbox can be changed at will, does it mean that the login account can be changed at will?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me on this, @hktkzyz

For you to log into your account, an email address and a password is required, those of which your Dropbox account is associated with. 

You can indeed change your email address and password if you want, but just to ensure, when you refer to:

@hktkzyz wrote:

but the login account is not the email address?

Could you please elaborate on this? If you also have any screenshots (omitting personal info) illustrating what you’re seeing, that would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Let me give you an example.
For example, my current dropbox login email is “123@hotmail.com”.
I invited friends through 123@gmail.com to get a total of 6G of dropbox space.

If I now register a new email “456@gmail.com” and change the email address of the dropbox to "456@gmail.com",
will there be any changes in the files and spaces in my dorpbox?

If there is no change, does it mean that I can change my login email at any time?

“but the login account is not the email address?”(难道登陆账号不就是邮件地址吗?)  I mean,the Name and the 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for your swift reply, @hktkzyz

Just to clarify, if you create a new account under another email address (as per your example, 456@gmail), then that’s separate from your first account associated with the first email address (123@hotmail). 

However, if you change the email address from the first (123@gmail) to the second (456@hotmail), there won’t be any changes to your earned space or the contents of your account. 

@hktkzyz wrote:

does it mean that I can change my login email at any time?

You should be able to change your email address associated with your account at any point in time.

Hope this helped!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I basically understand what you mean, but I still can't understand.

I think maybe dropbox should have a unique、unchanging “flag” to prove that it is my account.

This “flag” is like a “root key”. and it is the only mark that proves me and is not allowed to be modified.

For example, many websites that I know, once registered, the username registered at that time is not allowed to be modified.

Maybe I think too much. Maybe this is just the power(advantage) of the dropbox.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for your feedback on this, @hktkzyz, I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration!

If you have any other thoughts you’d like me to forward, don’t hesitate to get back to me. 

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?