cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I delete my account? (standard delete account article not helpful)

Highlighted

How can I delete my account? (standard delete account article not helpful)

Not applicable

Hello,

I have tried to delete my account using the standard article. However 'delete account' button doesn't seem to exist under Settings>General. Could you please let me know how I can do this? Or is someone from Dropbox please able to delete my account.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How can I delete my account? (standard delete account article not helpful)

Dropboxer

Hey @anonymous, thanks for reaching out to us. 

If you can't see the Delete account button under the General tab online, it most probably is due to having an active subscription or being part of a free team.

You can check if you have a subscription by going to the Plan tab. If you find that you are on a:

• Plus/Professional plan, you can cancel it by following these steps.
  • Business account, you can check out this article for more info.

If you are part of a free team though, you'll need to leave it or disband it first before deleting your account.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @anonymous, thanks for reaching out to us. 

If you can't see the Delete account button under the General tab online, it most probably is due to having an active subscription or being part of a free team.

You can check if you have a subscription by going to the Plan tab. If you find that you are on a:

• Plus/Professional plan, you can cancel it by following these steps.
  • Business account, you can check out this article for more info.

If you are part of a free team though, you'll need to leave it or disband it first before deleting your account.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Not applicable

Seems to have done the trick - thank you!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hello, I do not have the option to delete my account.  It is a dropbox basic plan and there is no 'delete account' option under the general tab nor the plan tab. Please advise. Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @OMC; thanks for joining our Community!

I'm not quite sure if this is the case, but could it be that your account is part of a free team account? 

If so, you'll need to leave the team first to revert back to an individual account before you'll get the option to delete your account.

Keep us posted! 

Walter

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

That's the issue, I'm trying to delete a personal dropbox account. I don't use it and I don't want it. I have a separate dropbox Pro account for work. But when I download the dropbox app for my desktop it shows as my personal account not my pro account. It's very frustrating. Please help me delete my personal account. It truly shouldn't be this difficult. Thank you!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @OMC1!

If your desktop app is connecting to your Basic account, you can unlink this account from the app with the steps outlined here. Otherwise you can unlink through the desktop app settings by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray.
  2. From the top right of the window, click the profile pic/initials icon.
  3. Choose "Preferences" from the menu.
  4. From the Account tab, choose "Unlink".

Regarding the issue you're having deleting the Basic account, the option should be right at the bottom of this page. If you're not able to see that, can you send me a screenshot of the very bottom of this page and your Plan tab? 

Please exclude any personal info that may show in these screenshots, there shouldn't be any in those locations but mentioning it just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

Daphne

Highlighted

I want to delete my account

Not applicable

I want to delete my dopbox account but I cannot remember the password, therefore it does not let me delete it. Another issue is that I do not use that email address anymore, as it has been blocked, therefore I cannot get back my password or receive any mail to restore it. 

Highlighted

Re: I want to delete my account

Super User II

@anonymous wrote:

I want to delete my dopbox account but I cannot remember the password, therefore it does not let me delete it. Another issue is that I do not use that email address anymore, as it has been blocked ...

Without access to the email address associated with your Dropbox account, you won't be able to gain access. If the purpose is just to delete the account, it will be deleted automatically after it has been idle for a year.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?