cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find out where my space is used?

How can I find out where my space is used?

lee4
New member | Level 2

Hi, 

Fedora Linux dropbox user. The command du -h says that my dropbox folder occupies 3.9GB, but dropbox tell me it's using 7.7GB. Where is dropbox getting the remaining 3 GB be? 

I have set dropbox to sync everything to this machine, via preferences, sync, selective sync, select all. I have some shared folders, but they don't seem to contribute towards the totals, as the space that drobox calculates (7.7GB) goes up when I add them back into the account. 

Where is that 3GB coming from?

Also, it's crazy that I have to ask the community instead of asking fa helpdesk! Shame on you dropbox for not providing direct support to your users. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How can I find out where my space is used?

Jane
Dropboxer
Oh, thanks for keeping me in the loop on your findings here o1sowise

As you’ve mentioned that this is no longer an issue, though it keeps coming and going as per: 

It seems to happen about once each week.   There's something hidden in there, but I cannot find it.

could you get back in touch here if you get to recreate it, so as to check back with you on this specific case. 

Thanks again for posting on the Forum on this matter & remember that we’re always a thread away, so don’t hesitate to get back in touch with us again in case you’d like to share your thoughts or experience any issues in the future. Hope you have a wonderful rest of the day ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II

@lee4 wrote:

Also, it's crazy that I have to ask the community instead of asking fa helpdesk! Shame on you dropbox for not providing direct support to your users. 

They do have a help desk, and they dop provide direct suport. The links to contact Dropbox are at the bottom of every page.

Open your ticket here: https://dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Plus, Professional and Business users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey lee4I'm just checking back on progress, has this been resolved for you? 

If you raised a ticket with our team, as per Rich's suggestion, could you include a ticket ID in your next post here, so that make sure to follow-up internally? Please include your ticket# in your next reply & I'll make sure to look it up on my end. 

Thanks in advance & I'm looking forward to hearing back from you on this discussion! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

o1sowise
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same issue, all of a sudden.  

MacOS says my DropBox folder is 236.2MB, yet DropBox thinks it's over 2.75GB.  

What gives?

Mark
Super User II
Shared folder?
Selective Sync?
Symlinks?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

o1sowise
Explorer | Level 4
Not that I can see. All appears local

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey o1sowise, welcome to the Dropbox Forum! 

Have you been able to determine where your space has been used up? You may keep in mind that I’ve posted on the matter earlier on this thread though I’d happily repeat my tips for you below. 

If I were in your shoes, I’d check on my account online as an initial point of reference... ", in order to verify my allowance & overall usage . In case you're still experiencing a space discrepancy on your desktop " ...unlinking & relinking once will probably help you resolve this issue. Once you relink, please make sure that you’re running the latest Stable client version & it’s syncing correctly.

Please keep me updated on how the advice above works for you & I’ll make sure to check back with you as closely as possible. Cheers! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

o1sowise
Explorer | Level 4

@Janewrote:

Thanks!

@Janewrote:
Have you been able to determine where your space has been used up? You may keep in mind that I’ve posted on the matter earlier on this thread though I’d happily repeat my tips for you below. 

If I were in your shoes, I’d check on my account online as an initial point of reference... ", in order to verify my allowance & overall usage . In case you're still experiencing a space discrepancy on your desktop " ...unlinking & relinking once will probably help you resolve this issue. Once you relink, please make sure that you’re running the latest Stable client version & it’s syncing correctly.

It's weird, it went away by itself.   It seems to happen about once each week.   There's something hidden in there, but I cannot find it.

@Janewrote:
Please keep me updated on how the advice above works for you & I’ll make sure to check back with you as closely as possible. Cheers! 

OK!

o1sowise
Explorer | Level 4

@Jane wrote:

Thanks!

@Jane wrote:

It's weird, it went away by itself.   It seems to happen about once each week.

@Jane wrote:

Sure will!

Jane
Dropboxer
Oh, thanks for keeping me in the loop on your findings here o1sowise

As you’ve mentioned that this is no longer an issue, though it keeps coming and going as per: 

It seems to happen about once each week.   There's something hidden in there, but I cannot find it.

could you get back in touch here if you get to recreate it, so as to check back with you on this specific case. 

Thanks again for posting on the Forum on this matter & remember that we’re always a thread away, so don’t hesitate to get back in touch with us again in case you’d like to share your thoughts or experience any issues in the future. Hope you have a wonderful rest of the day ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    o1sowise Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?