cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get tax exemption for a Dropbox Plus plan?

Highlighted

How can I get tax exemption for a Dropbox Plus plan?

New member | Level 2

I would like to upgrade to Dropbox Plus, but we are a municipality (public library) that is tax exempt. How do I purchase Dropbox Plus with a tax exemption? I called support and was told to post my question here. I wish this information was available on your website. Other businesses make it easy to purchase tax-free after verifying a tax exempt certificate. Thank you.

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: How can I get tax exemption for a Dropbox Plus plan?

Super User II

Some non-profit or educational institutions can receive tax exemptions on Dropbox Business subscriptions. Subscriptions intended for individuals, like Plus and Professional, do not have tax exemptions.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Legally, we are exempt from tax for all purchases. I was told on the phone by Dropbox Business Support that for Plus tax exemption, I should post here and Dropbox will help me within 3-4 days. Are you saying Dropbox doesn't honor legal tax exemption certificates for government and nonprofit?

Highlighted

Super User II

@cheshirelibrary wrote:

Are you saying Dropbox doesn't honor legal tax exemption certificates for government and nonprofit?

They do, as I stated, for those on Business subscriptions.

ffaed83cd9d685a06b5d7f83e8122782.png

The link at the end of that screenshot points to the following page:

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

To anyone who qualifies for tax exemption and is considering Dropbox, here's the simple answer that Dropbox avoids stating:

-Dropbox Basic: free, so tax exemption isn't applicable 

-Dropbox Plus: ~$120 per year, NOT possible to get tax exemption (Dropbox claim this is a "personal use" product and, whether or not you or your organization agree, they will not under any circumstances remove the tax. They claim that because this is "personal use" it doesn't qualify for tax exemption.)

-Dropbox Professional: ~$199 per year, and if you're willing to buy this (whether or not you need it) you can then work with their support team (a separate process) to get tax exemption.

In other words, if you're willing to spend ~$79 per year more for something you don't want, your organization can qualify to save about $10-20 per year in tax.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?