cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I reconnect a device I restored back to my Dropbox account?

Highlighted

How can I reconnect a device I restored back to my Dropbox account?

Helpful | Level 5

I'm running into a 3-device related issue.  I reinstalled MacOS Mojave from a backup.  Now dropbox doesn't recognize this mac as the "same" device as before.  Therefore it's asking me to unlink other devices.  I want to avoid that by getting dropbox to again recognize this mac.  [as you know, long-time users are grandfathered with the devices we had before Mar 2019; I don't have a new device, just a restored backup]

In the device list, in the section where you can unlink devices, this device is now shown as "ComputerName.local" whereas before it was just "ComputerName".  

In System Preferences>Sharing, the comptuer name in the field is just "ComputerName".

Ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How can I reconnect a device I restored back to my Dropbox account?

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the reply.  I understand, but want to un-disconnect it as I'm restoring from a backup.  There's no reason dropbox shouldn't be able to recognize the current device is the same as an already-connected device. Technically at least. 

If that's dropbox's inflexible policy, that's a shame.  

Anyway, imma gonna give up and "go to three". It's a big bummer, but sorry not big enough to pay $10 a month esp in these times. I already pay $1/mo to Apple for 50GB and unlimited devices for iCloud. Time to make the move on all remaining applications.  Dropbox was a good service while it lasted! Thanks for the memories.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @gajahduduk, thanks for posting on the Community!

If you disconnect a device, for whatever reason, the device is no longer connected to your account, and it isn’t possible to re-establish that old connection. It would need to be a brand new link.

If your account is already over the 3 device limit, then it wouldn’t be possible to connect the Mac until you have no more than 2 devices remaining on your Dropbox account.

I hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the reply.  I understand, but want to un-disconnect it as I'm restoring from a backup.  There's no reason dropbox shouldn't be able to recognize the current device is the same as an already-connected device. Technically at least. 

If that's dropbox's inflexible policy, that's a shame.  

Anyway, imma gonna give up and "go to three". It's a big bummer, but sorry not big enough to pay $10 a month esp in these times. I already pay $1/mo to Apple for 50GB and unlimited devices for iCloud. Time to make the move on all remaining applications.  Dropbox was a good service while it lasted! Thanks for the memories.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?