cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I remove the Dropbox account on my computer so that I can add mine back?

Highlighted

How can I remove the Dropbox account on my computer so that I can add mine back?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Some years ago (after having created my own basic dropbox account) I allowed one of my children to create a dropbox account on my computer for music etc. I didn't realize it would replace mine on the computer. I want to get rid of her account, and to use my own dropbox account. (She no longer has access to the school email she used to set up the account). Any suggestions for how best to go about this process?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Deleting /replacing account

anonymous
Not applicable

@o_o 

To contact support regarding a log-in issue open an incognito tab (don't login) and go to https://www.dropbox.com/support/sign-in-issues . Also, to remove her account from the Dropbox App on your device follow the below steps:

1. Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock
  2. Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
  3. Click the 'Unlink' button
  4. Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register.
  5. Use the correct account's login credentials to connect.  

Note that when you relink, to a different Dropbox account now, the app will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'. 

In case you need your new Dropbox folder to be in an another location other than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'. If you'd like your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking. I hope this helps!

-----------

HeartDid this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

anonymous
Not applicable

@o_o 

To contact support regarding a log-in issue open an incognito tab (don't login) and go to https://www.dropbox.com/support/sign-in-issues . Also, to remove her account from the Dropbox App on your device follow the below steps:

1. Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock
  2. Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
  3. Click the 'Unlink' button
  4. Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register.
  5. Use the correct account's login credentials to connect.  

Note that when you relink, to a different Dropbox account now, the app will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'. 

In case you need your new Dropbox folder to be in an another location other than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'. If you'd like your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking. I hope this helps!

-----------

HeartDid this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?