cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I see the size of all files in a folder?

How can I see the size of all files in a folder?

DLBurkhart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Most file storage systems at least have a column with file sizes. The only way I can find in DropBox to see file sizes is to individualy view a file's history. Ideally, I want to see a sortable column of file sizes in the list view. A total size for the current folder would also be helpful.

Is there some hidden easier way to show storage used by each file or folder?

Even the total storage "used" information is inaccurate since it combines shared storage from other accounts. This information would be more intuitive if displayed as "unshared", "shared", and "combined".

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

wrote:

Most file storage systems at least have a column with file sizes.

As does Dropbox. Just change the column header to show Size.

5309938667f2fe68558b7101064e16e9.png

A total size for the current folder would also be helpful.

Display the Size column, select a folder and click Calculate size from the menu on the right.

Even the total storage "used" information is inaccurate since it combines shared storage from other accounts.

It's not inaccurate and it's not combining storage from other accounts.. The content of a shared folder resides in your account, so it takes up space in your account. ANY files or folders in your account will count against your own storage quota, even those that are shared with you.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

wrote:

Most file storage systems at least have a column with file sizes.

As does Dropbox. Just change the column header to show Size.

5309938667f2fe68558b7101064e16e9.png

A total size for the current folder would also be helpful.

Display the Size column, select a folder and click Calculate size from the menu on the right.

Even the total storage "used" information is inaccurate since it combines shared storage from other accounts.

It's not inaccurate and it's not combining storage from other accounts.. The content of a shared folder resides in your account, so it takes up space in your account. ANY files or folders in your account will count against your own storage quota, even those that are shared with you.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
To add to Rich’s words, the account plan page tells you what proportion of files are shared or private on your account.

This way you can easily tell if shared folders/files are taking up a lot of space on your account, so if need be you can remove the shared folders from your account.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DLBurkhart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Rich:

Thank you. This information about revealing hidden file/folder sizes will come in very helpful.

It took me a moment to figure out how to “just change the column header”. The triangle symbol in a column heading is more often used to indicate sort order (ascending/descending). So, it didn’t click to… well,… just click to find out what it was really for.

As for the combined storage, I see that we view differently what that means.

DLBurkhart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

AgentJay:

Thank you, as well. Having access to the individual amounts of shared and unshared files will indeed help when necessary to adjust for storage space.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No problem! Let us know if you have any further queries on this matter. :grinning:

Jay
dropbox.com/support

havetoregister
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey there,

When I click calculate size on two of my folders the size of each is calculated at 0MB, even though in one "0MB" folder, there are folders of 17.32 MB, and 8.3MB, and in the other "0MB" folder there's a folder of 337.88KB inside.

So the calculate size is not reliable. Or do subfolders not get included in the size calculation?

wmartin573
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The advice below is useless.  I get no column for size. The system is just as useless as MS Windows in showing me file size

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @wmartin573, have you tried clicking one of the columns on the Dropbox site to get the option for 'Size'?

From there you can switch to it and then calculate the size of folders if need be.

Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

GREG CHICK
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The help says login in look at file size Colum, if you don't see it hover over and select the size colum.   I do not see any Colum, nothing pops up or down.  I have spent an hour to reduce the file size of files by looking for large files.  I can not see file size to delete files.  This is a very bad page layout.  The GUI sucks

Need more support?