cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I update my billing information? I don't see the Billing tab in my account settings.

Explorer | Level 3

I receive repeated email notifications to update my billing information but I see no choice for Billing under my Account Settings

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: How can I update my billing information? I don't see the Billing tab in my account settings.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @BillingUpdateFrustration, thanks for posting on the Community!

Could you try accessing this link to directly get to the billing page?

If you’re not seeing it there, could you let me what plan you see on this page?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: How can I update my billing information? I don't see the Billing tab in my account settings.

Explorer | Level 3

How kind of you to give me these two specific links. I admit I find how Dropbox operates to be opaque.

Apparently, the email I got from Dropbox pertained to a free account I had on another, older email address. But what was confusing was that it said I needed to update my credit card information for my subscriber plan of $119~. I could not recall ever having a subscriber plan on any Dropbox-email combination but I have enough files that I was terrified they might go away.

Thus, I upgraded on my current email address and my files seem to be there as well as the record of my purchase today, as well as a whole lot of available space, for which I am now paying a monthly charge.

But I resent that Dropbox would ask me to update my credit card information when I had no subscriber plan and then, when I followed its links on its email, there was no choice for Billing (logically enough, since I had no plan). I had no record of being a subscriber in my personal files but, then, we all have entirely too many subscriber plans on too many places . . .

It all began to seem like a scam and I spent way too much time trying to figure this out.

Should I delete the old email free Dropbox or will that affect my files? 

Thank you for your help.

T

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If you login to the Dropbox site with the old email address, do you see any files on there?

If so, check if you need to keep them, download them, and delete the account if you wish to do so.

Regarding the current account with the subscription, if you’re not interested in keeping the plan, contact the support team from the site using this link when logged into the upgraded plan.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

The request for updating my credit card information came to my old email address--which I don't even know how to login to any longer if there is/was a separate Dropbox--but when I clicked on the message links, it sent me to the Dropbox associated with my new email address where I could find no tab for updating a credit card.

I likely will soon need the greater amount of space, anyway, so I went ahead and Upgraded to the Plus plan rather than having anything happen to my files on the free account. But it seems a little underhanded to me to get users to upgrade by asking them to update a card for a subscription that they do not even have.

It's okay. I should more often try Community help first!

Thank you very much, Jay

T

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@BillingUpdateFrustration wrote:

The request for updating my credit card information came to my old email address ... but when I clicked on the message links, it sent me to the Dropbox associated with my new email address ...

The links have nothing to do with the specific email address or Dropbox account. They simply take you to the appropriate page on the Dropbox website and the information you see is based on the account you use when signing in to the site. You were likely already signed in with your newer account, which is why you didn't see the billing option. If you sign out of the Dropbox website and then sign back in using the older email address (reset the password first if needed), you'll likely see a separate account that, by the sounds of it, has billing information associated with it.

But it seems a little underhanded to me to get users to upgrade by asking them to update a card for a subscription that they do not even have.

There's nothing underhanded going on. If you were sent a reminder to update your billing information, then somewhere there's an account that has previously had your billing information, and it's THAT account that needs to be updated. It has nothing to do with your newer account, as shown by the fact that the reminders were coming in to a different email address. Dropbox is not trying to get you to upgrade under false pretenses.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?