cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I contribute to a community project without using all my personal space?

How do I contribute to a community project without using all my personal space?

Richard G.33
New member | Level 1

I have been contributing architectural pictures and reports to a local community project. They have their own Dropbox space with folders for the pictures and reports that they have shared with all the contributors so we can upload stuff. I now find that my personal account space has been used up. Is there a way to continue to contribute without using up all my own space?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I contribute to a community project without using all my personal space?

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Get them to send you a File Request, so you can upload files via the website. 

Shared folders will always use your space, there is no way around that.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Re: How do I contribute to a community project without using all my personal space?

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Get them to send you a File Request, so you can upload files via the website. 

Shared folders will always use your space, there is no way around that.

View solution in original post

Richard G.33
New member | Level 1

But wouldn't that mean that the contributors wouldn't be able to see what has been added?

Richard G.33
New member | Level 1

Would it make any difference if my level of access was reduced to just viewing once all the files were added to the community share?

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Yes, other contributors wouldn't be able to see your uploads if you used a File Request, and no, reducing the level of access does not affect space used - shared folders take up space in every account in Basic and Pro accounts, always, there is no way around this.

Richard G.33
New member | Level 1

So, basically, Dropbox is the wrong tool to use for such a project? I can see all the contributors using up their own account space because there are a lot of large photos required.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

That's a matter of opinion - Dropbox takes the stance that your account is your account, and if files appear in your account, they count toward your quota.

If the contributors dont want their own space used, they should use File Requests to upload their files - but we already discussed the downside of that.

If they want to both contribute and be able to see other contributors contributions, then there is no way around it, they need to use a shared folder.

The Dropbox for Business product uses shared storage for all clients, but its more expensive and centrally controlled - you don't use your account, you use an account that is owned and controlled by the Dropbox for Business account holder.

Richard G.33
New member | Level 1

So basically, there is  no non-commercial version of the business type of account that community projects could use? Obviously, with lots of contributors, the project share will get quite large. Whoever it is shared with is likely to blow their personal quota. It's a shame because Dropbox seemed like a good option but it is no good if the contributors will be affected in this way. They just won't want to be involved.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

No. Dropbox has decided not to allow free sharing between Basic and Pro accounts - its been this way since they launched nearly a decade ago.

Richard G.33
New member | Level 1

Sorry to be so ignorant. I was asked to contribute to the project and didn't realise this would happen. No doubt if I had been a "Super User" like you I would have known. My mistake.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard G.33 New member | Level 1
    Richard P. Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?