cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get rid of a link someone else has set up to my account?

How do I get rid of a link someone else has set up to my account?

bacook
Explorer | Level 3

An organization has set up a link on its website to my dropbox account and has not removed it when requested. Is there some way to remove it or block it permanently on my end?

9 Replies 9

Re: How do I get rid of a link someone else has set up to my account?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @bacook, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

Just to make sure I understand the issue fully, can you clarify for me exactly what kind of link this is?

Is it maybe a shared link to a file/folder in your Dropbox account? Or maybe a file request link used to upload files to your account?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bacook
Explorer | Level 3

The purpose of the link is to provide people access to documents for an educational program. The link takes people to my account and they can see and access whatever documents I have in my account at the time even though the documents that may be in my account have nothing whatsoever to do with the educational program. In fact, I do not keep documents for the educational program in my DB account; the link, therefore, has no purpose but it permits people to access other unrelated information without my permission. The link was set up without my permission.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for that @bacook!

It sounds like this might be a shared link, so can you check out these steps to see if you can delete the link?

Otherwise, when you check your files and folders in your account, do any of them look like they're shared?

A shared folder would have a silhouette of 2 people on the front rather than a plain folder icon.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bacook
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the suggestions. I went through them and do not have any shared links and no information that would relate to the program the website link addresses. 

Daphne
Dropboxer
I just re-read your post above, and from what you said in your last post too. These files are being hosted in a Dropbox account that's not yours, right?

Apologies for missing that before, if that's what you were referring to @bacook!

In this case, I would suggest reporting the link to our team with the steps outlined here.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

bacook
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you again for your input. The link is from an organization's website to my account. People using the link would be looking for documents that are not in my account and would be able to find other documents that I have in my account that do not pertain to their purpose. I am wondering if it would be possible to close the account that I have and open a new, separate one.

Rich
Super User II

@bacook wrote:

... it permits people to access other unrelated information without my permission. The link was set up without my permission.

This is your own personal account? It doesn't belong to a company you're working for? If it's your own account, then no one else can create a link to it. No one else can access the files in your account unless you've shared them. It's not possible for someone else to link into an account that they don't own.

bacook
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks but I did not set up the link that exists.

Daphne
Dropboxer
If you're not seeing any shared links created from your account, then it wouldn't be possible for anyone to view anything without your account @bacook.

This means that to access files via a Dropbox shared link, the files must be uploaded in another Dropbox account.

Having said that, if you want to delete your Dropbox account, you can follow the steps outlined here to do this.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?