cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How do I know which files are mine?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Our company uses Dropbox Basic.  It says my account is full & I want to delete some files to clear up storage.  How do I know which files are mine?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How do I know which files are mine?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Karim_B

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, let me send over some tips below!  

Please keep in mind that the size of a shared folder will be counted against the quota of every member of that folder, unless everyone is a member of the same Dropbox Business account. Don't lose heart, though, let's have a look into some alternative options. 

To get past your account's space limitations, you can ask your colleague (or project manager) to send you a shared link, which will allow you to view the contents of the folder (including any changes: eg. additions/ edits/ deletions made by your colleagues). This will grant you the visibility to the files inside, without impacting your account's storage. Then, s/ he can send you a File request, which will let you upload files that will only affect their storage. 

Moreover, did you know that you can earn some more space, following these simple steps or sending referrals

Hope this helps you clarify! Should you need more details about it, just let me know here!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Again, shared-folders use quota on the account of EACH "member." These use DB quota that many people did not expect.

Use selective-sync to remove entire folders that you don;t want. In a sense all files are "yours".

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

So you're saying there's no way to know which files I've uploaded over the last year & if I delete something, it will delete it for everyone?  

Highlighted

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Yes. Any file moved out of a shared-folder looks like a "delete" to dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Is there any way to know which files I've uploaded?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Any files that you delete in a shared folder (assuming you have edit access to the shared folder) are deleted for all members of that share, regardless of whether you added them or they were added by another member. You can look at the previous version history information of a file to see who added it to the folder. You would need to do this for each file (there is no easy indicator to show this information for all files).

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Rick,

To be clear, if someone else shares a folder with me it uses up my quota?

If this insanity is correct how can I control what eats up my quota?

Thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Karim_B

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, let me send over some tips below!  

Please keep in mind that the size of a shared folder will be counted against the quota of every member of that folder, unless everyone is a member of the same Dropbox Business account. Don't lose heart, though, let's have a look into some alternative options. 

To get past your account's space limitations, you can ask your colleague (or project manager) to send you a shared link, which will allow you to view the contents of the folder (including any changes: eg. additions/ edits/ deletions made by your colleagues). This will grant you the visibility to the files inside, without impacting your account's storage. Then, s/ he can send you a File request, which will let you upload files that will only affect their storage. 

Moreover, did you know that you can earn some more space, following these simple steps or sending referrals

Hope this helps you clarify! Should you need more details about it, just let me know here!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?