cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I prevent Dropbox using so much memory on my computer? I already use SmartSync

Highlighted

How do I prevent Dropbox using so much memory on my computer? I already use SmartSync

Helpful | Level 5

How do I prevent Dropbox using so much memory on my computer?

I already use SmarSync.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How do I prevent Dropbox using so much memory on my computer? I already use SmartSync

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the clarification. Since RAM and CPU usage are closely related, could you check out the possible symptoms of the excessive RAM amounts in this article.

Let us know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

28 Replies 28
Highlighted

Re: How do I prevent Dropbox using so much memory on my computer? I already use SmartSync

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, if you’re using Smart Sync, and your files are online-only, then they shouldn’t be taking up any space on your device.

Could you let us know more about this matter with a screenshot showing the space on your computer and why you believe it’s affecting it? Thanks!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I meant RAM. Dropbox is usung a lot if RAM- about 350 MB and my computer runs very slow, and is difficult to use. Dropbox uses 5 or 6 times more RAM than any ither program, even after using SmartSync on mist if my files.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the clarification. Since RAM and CPU usage are closely related, could you check out the possible symptoms of the excessive RAM amounts in this article.

Let us know how it goes!

Jay

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Jay, that page goes to a 4xx Page. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks @tequejas, I’ve amended it now, we’ve recently changed the domain for the Help Center, so the link should point to the correct location.

Jay

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi. Deleting files eventually seemed to help, but wierdly Dropbox in top bottom right corner app is telling me I have about 400,000 files, and I'm pretty sure I don't! Or at least, if there might be 1-300,000 hiding somewhere, how might I find them to consider deleting them? Thank you.

Also, logging in to post here took AGES for dpbx to respond!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Also, is it basically Synching EVERY file, EVERY day?

I need to keep a lot offline as my Internet is not always very reliable. 

But I also have a lot of old files I draw on.

Is there only other option to have more RAM speed on the laptop? 

Thank you

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

There's no oficcial solution. The App will drain all your RAM when synching. My fastest solution is:
· If you have to upload many files, let the computer all night do so. 
· Use selective folders to Sync, that way your app will have less files to be looking for. 

Get more RAM, Dropbox app LOVES taking it all RAM it can to upload files. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

This is no solution. I can't even open pdf files because the QTwebengine process that Dropbox uses is utilizing all of my RAM & CPU usage. So there's no need for Dropbox to store my pdf files if I can't even open them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?