cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I prevent Dropbox using so much memory on my computer? I already use SmartSync

How do I prevent Dropbox using so much memory on my computer? I already use SmartSync

orchidea18
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

How do I prevent Dropbox using so much memory on my computer?

I already use SmarSync.

28 Replies 28

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @gm2020, could you let me know if you tried all the steps in that article to see if it helps reduce the CPU/RAM usage of the Dropbox desktop application?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gm2020
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Step 1: I only sinc files one or two at a time.

Step 2: I do not utilize any third party apps that would need or use files in my dropbox folders.

Step 3: I have ran the command prompts per your website and apparently there were no incorrect file permissions.

Step 4: I only have 29,417 files in my dropbox client folder.

Step 5 & 6: My dropbox file is located on my C: Drive. (My Computer's Internal Hard Drive - The only one I have)

Step 7: No Symlinks - CMD Prompt states: Volume in drive C is OS, Volume Serial Number is ##E#-####, File Not Found

I am still having the same issues. I have double checked my processes and it is only the dropbox QT web engine process (several instances) utiliizing my CPU / RAM but are all from file location (Dropbox).

What else would you recommend?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In order to see if this is related to the actual installation of the app, if you’re not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gm2020
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I did complete all steps to reinstall and that worked for a full day. I have use a Dropbox Business Advanced account . Now today while working I could not open a pdf file only to see that the QTwebengineprocess.exe (file location in Dropbox folder) is utilizing 60,824 K for one process & another instance at 26,012 K of my memory.

websistant
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

And what is the solution to this?

because there is no solution....dropbox doesn't give a **bleep** t resolve the issue.

Just come out and say that there is no solution to this

look at how high the resources are being used

it's using as much resources as a full blown editing application.....

it doesn't make sense for what should be a simple SVN.....they have gone and complicated the software

so much with the stupid features of Paper....and this and that and smart sync....none of that is the issue

just make a more powerful SVN and versioning system, as well as cloud system, and we wouldn't even be having this conversation

to the extent of how. much Dropbox is making per year........none of the executives there want to make anything better for the public.....

the biggest thing that happened at Dropbox was the "rebranding" they did with some stupid sketches to make it seem like Dropbox is for creatives, and for this person or that person.....NONE Of the branding matters if the god **bleep** app doens't work in the first place

As a 10 year user of Dropbox, i know there are no other competitors to the software on the level that it functions and the features of app integration etc.......so it's just become conveniently an application that has enough of the features and enough of the operability that people are using it because there is no other alternative....but that doesn't mean that A) it makes the lives of designers and developers a living hell......it doesn't function simulatenously wih any serious applications, especially Photoshop.....etc....

the reasons are endless as to why until now, instead of the executives at Dropbox just getting rich and softening their seats......there should have been a massive overhaul to the whole software.....it's only gotten SLOWER and more daunting and draining......not less......it drains more resources today than it ever did.....and i am running a iMac Pro with 14 cores.....i can't imagine what the 6-8 core Macs are going through.

Please see below my resources through activity monitor.....this has just gotten worse and worse over the past 2 years........the very last update from Dropbox was probably one that slowed it down the most.......also see the specs of my computer so you don't say its my computer cuz i will laugh. 

Screenshot 2020-03-15 00.09.07.png

Screenshot 2020-03-15 00.07.34.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @websistant; I'm sorry to hear you're also facing issues with high CPU usage on your Mac. 

I'd really like to help look into this matter so would it be OK with you if I reached out via the email address that's connected with your profile here so we can have a further look into this with all of my tools at our disposal? 

Whenever you get some spare time, please let me know here and we'll take it from there.

While we're at it, have you consulted the relevant Help Center article which goes through the possible culprits? In case you did, what were your findings? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

BigAlUK99
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The easiest way to stop DropBox from using around 1/3rd of a GigaByte of memory when it actually does nothing with it is...

to simply uninstal it.

There are a large number of cloud providers (1&1-Ionis, Microsoft, Google, etc) whos apps steal far less memory for wastage when they are not doing anything - which, lets face it, is 99.999...% of the time!

If DropBox can't be arsed to sort this TRIVIAL amendment to their code, then they don't really deserve to be a cloud-player anymore.

tequejas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@BigAlUK99 I have just cancelled my Dropbox pro after many problems, like memory stealing, and when i send a link to my clients, they see first an invitation to join Dropbox before download the file... BUT I WAS PAYING FOR PRO TOOLS because i need something simple, open link-download a file, not promoting Dropbox to take my customers to join their business... Solution: change the last 0 from a link to 1.

When i send a JPG file for printing for example, they see a "preview" and that confuses them, downloading the low-res version. After contacting support they suggested me to zip the file... OKAY.

And the last one, while uploading a PNG file (transparency), and downloading on my iPhone it looses its alpha channel. Support said that engineers thaught that i't would be better to have PNG with NO ALPHA CHANNEL.

I ended up using iCloud. Cheapper, simpler, faster.

RJLeonardo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The new app is horrible for memory and CPU waste. I have been with Dropbox since 2010 and never has reliability been this poor as this desktop application version.  Problems started immediately after the latest major GUI and features change. 
The new desktop application is flawed for a number of users.  I had to uninstall it from my work terminal today.  Will likely have to do the same with a laptop as it too is being halted to a crawl when trying to use the software. 
I'll just use the browser for now and not have synchronisation I guess.  

Is there any way to install the old, stable desktop software?

eabe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox team:

I am also experiencing high memory (RAM) footprint on the Dropbox app running on my machine (MacOS 10.15.3). I have less than 40% of my 2.0TB space used and the great majority of my files are remote (smart sync).

Yet, the Dropbox app is taking over 2.8GB of RAM on my machine!

Killing the Dropbox app helps but it ends up eating RAM again over time. Needless to say that this is a deal breaker, I cannot afford this kind of memory footprint on my systems.

Can you provide some guidance please?

Thank you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

traaa New member | Level 2
    jay2020 Helpful | Level 5
    chrysotheras Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?