cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove space from my harddrive

Highlighted

How do I remove space from my harddrive

New member | Level 2

My hard drive space is full with drop box.  I thought the idea with dropbox is that is in the cloud.  If I uinstall the dropbox desktop icon then where do I download photos off a memory card that is put into the computer.  I normally insert the memory card and then download them to drop box.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How do I remove space from my harddrive

Dropboxer

Hey there Sammy - how are you today?

Since your Dropbox Folder is just another folder on your computer (with syncing capabilities) this is actually expected. 

Spoiler

It's common to assume Dropbox works like a network drive because of its many online features. However, your Dropbox folder is actually a normal folder and its contents are stored on your hard drive. The Dropbox application only watches your Dropbox folder for changes and syncs those changes online and to your other computers. One of the benefits of this way of syncing is always having access to your files, even while you are offline.

Moving on to your concern now, Selective Sync is a feature that allows you to choose which folders to sync to a particular computer and it's a great option if you'd like to free up disk space.

You can use Selective Sync by following the steps in this Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

Spoiler
By default, all folders in Dropbox automatically sync to any computer that's linked to your Dropbox account. If you'd like to prevent a folder from syncing to your computer, un-check the box next to the folder's name. Any folders you deselect will stop syncing to your hard drive, but will still be available through the website and on any other computer linked to your Dropbox account.

If you decide that you need the deselected folders back on your computer, go into your Selective Sync settings and check the box next to the folder's name. Dropbox will then sync the updated folder to your computer again.

Last but not least, should you uninstall the app from your computer, then the importing of your photos from your memory card will be handled by your computer's operating system from where you'd be able to save them on your desired location (on the device itself) and upload them through the website directly. 

I hope this information helps and please keep me posted on your progress too. Happy Monday!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: How do I remove space from my harddrive

Dropboxer

Hey there Sammy - how are you today?

Since your Dropbox Folder is just another folder on your computer (with syncing capabilities) this is actually expected. 

Spoiler

It's common to assume Dropbox works like a network drive because of its many online features. However, your Dropbox folder is actually a normal folder and its contents are stored on your hard drive. The Dropbox application only watches your Dropbox folder for changes and syncs those changes online and to your other computers. One of the benefits of this way of syncing is always having access to your files, even while you are offline.

Moving on to your concern now, Selective Sync is a feature that allows you to choose which folders to sync to a particular computer and it's a great option if you'd like to free up disk space.

You can use Selective Sync by following the steps in this Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

Spoiler
By default, all folders in Dropbox automatically sync to any computer that's linked to your Dropbox account. If you'd like to prevent a folder from syncing to your computer, un-check the box next to the folder's name. Any folders you deselect will stop syncing to your hard drive, but will still be available through the website and on any other computer linked to your Dropbox account.

If you decide that you need the deselected folders back on your computer, go into your Selective Sync settings and check the box next to the folder's name. Dropbox will then sync the updated folder to your computer again.

Last but not least, should you uninstall the app from your computer, then the importing of your photos from your memory card will be handled by your computer's operating system from where you'd be able to save them on your desired location (on the device itself) and upload them through the website directly. 

I hope this information helps and please keep me posted on your progress too. Happy Monday!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?