cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I speak to a manager to complain about customer service illegally cancelling my account?

How do I speak to a manager to complain about customer service illegally cancelling my account?

alexis wearmouth
New member | Level 2

My account was cancelled without my knowledge when I was in the middle of a ticket request to resolve a fault on my online files taking up space on my hard drive? I wish to speak to a manager urgently but the effect of someone cancelling my account subscription without my consent is that I cannot reach a customer service adviser to resolve the issue and have lost access to 1 TB of online only files - with an urgent work task to complete tonight. Terrible customer service and support - is this how Dropbox resolves issues, by disregarding my contractual rights?:  

---------- Forwarded message --------- From: Dropbox <no-reply@dropbox.com> Date: Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 4:31 PM Subject: Dropbox Plan will not renew To: <personal information removed as per Community Guidelines> Hi alexis, This email confirms that your Dropbox Plus plan will not renew at the end of your subscription. You'll keep the additional space and features of your Dropbox Plus until Jan. 17, 2021. None of your files will be deleted once your space is reduced. However, if you're using more than 2.75 GB of space, you won't be able to add new files to your Dropbox. If you do decide to come back to Dropbox Plus before Jan. 17, 2021, just click on the button below to resubscribe. Resubscribe to Dropbox Plus We hope you'll come back to Dropbox Plus in the future! - The Dropbox Team  

This message was sent minutes after a customer support chat (below) was abruptly terminated by the customer support adviser: 

Alexis Wearmouth, Dec 22, 2020, 7:04 AM PST: Chat transcript: ( 14:35:01 ) Visitor: I'm Alex Wearmouth. This problem is unresolved from earlier today: ( 14:35:04 ) Visitor: [truncated message] ---------- Forwarded message ---------From: alexis wearmouth <personal information removed as per Community Guidelines>Date: Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 1:34 PMSubject: Re: Dropbox Support ChatTo: Dropbox Support <support+id11783695@dropbox.zendesk.com>I have also restarted my computer several times.On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 1:33 PM alexis wearmouth <personal information removed as per Community Guidelines> wrote:Hi, I have applied the setting change and synced dropbox so it is showing as up to date with all files synced to online only. But this has had no effect on my Mac OS recalculating the storage size on the hard disk?On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 10:21 AM Dropbox Support (Dropbox Support) <support@dropbox.zendesk.com> wrote: ##- Please type your reply above this line -## Ticket #11783695: Dropbox Support ChatYou can add a response by replying to this email. Please be sure to reply with the same email address that you used to originally contact us. You can also reply by logging in to your customer portal at https://dropbox.com/support.Alexis Wearmouth, Dec 22, 2020, 2:21 AM PST:Chat transcript:( 10:09:17 ) Visitor: I am following the guidance on https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/space-storage/low-disk-space to set both logical and physical size to zero but these steps are not available?: "Click Settings.Toggle Smart Sync update for Mac on". I have moved a lo ( 14:35:36 ) Summer: Hi Alexis! Thanks for taking the time to contact Dropbox Support, my name is Summer and I'll be happy to assist you with your issue right away! ( 14:36:10 ) Summer: Oh I see, so you would like to check on Ticket #11783695, is that correct? ( 14:36:23 ) Visitor: see above. the setting chage hasn't worked. Correct. ( 14:37:02 ) Summer: Oh I see! Let me check the state of the ticket and I will be right back with you ( 14:38:22 ) Summer: Thank you for holding while I check! From what I can see, the ticket is still open; you can expect a reply from the agent you were chatting with shortly, so you can continue troubleshooting ( 14:38:54 ) Visitor: Can you not help me now? ( 14:39:42 ) Summer: We generally try to keep one ticket open per case, to avoid further confusion, as you already have talked with my colleague; but of course I can assist you if the matter is urgent. ( 14:40:14 ) Visitor: Yes please, ( 14:41:06 ) Summer: Lovely, now from my end, I could only check the status of the ticket; from what I gather by your message however, it looks like your Mac does not display the correct information after setting your files as online only, correct? ( 14:42:15 ) Visitor: It shows no additional storage on my hard disk when I have moved my files over to "online only". ( 14:42:35 ) Visitor: I have changed the setting so that the mac should calculate the disk storage at 0. ( 14:42:53 ) Summer: Hm, I see. Could you tell me what version of MacOS you are running at the moment? ( 14:43:18 ) Summer: I cannot see it mentioned in the message you provided ( 14:43:24 ) Visitor: big sur ( 14:43:50 ) Summer: Ah lovely, and could you please hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon at the top of your screen, by the WiFi icon to check which client version you are running as well? ( 14:44:56 ) Visitor: 112.4.321 ( 14:46:23 ) Summer: The latest stable one, lovely. Have you tried restarting the Dropbox desktop application at all after switching the Smart Sync update for Mac to on? ( 14:46:54 ) Visitor: yes repeatedly and restarted macbook several times ( 14:47:21 ) Summer: I see, would it be okay to go through the steps once again while we're on the chat? ( 14:47:33 ) Visitor: ok ( 14:48:01 ) Visitor: done ( 14:48:25 ) Summer: Could you walk me through what you did, to ensure we are following the same process? ( 14:49:00 ) Visitor: "Smart Sync update for Mac" - turned it off then turned it on again ( 14:49:19 ) Summer: I see, thank you. I will now need you to click on the Dropbox icon by the Wi-Fi icon, click your profile picture or initials, and then click Quit Dropbox. ( 14:49:33 ) Visitor: ok ( 14:49:33 ) Summer: Take your time, and let me know once you're all done ( 14:51:05 ) Summer: Great. Once you're done, start the Dropbox desktop application from the Applications folder or by using Spotlight: Press Command + Space bar keys, then type "dropbox" in the Spotlight search and hit return. ( 14:54:28 ) Summer: Just checking in, are you still with me? ( 14:57:16 ) Summer: It seems you have momentarily left our chat, so I can follow up with you via email if you would like. ( 15:00:10 ) Summer: It seems that now is a busy time for you. No worries! In a little while, I'll be contacting you by email in order to see if I can help further! Please feel free to reply to this email at any time. ( 15:00:13 ) Summer: Thanks for chatting with us today. We would love to hear how easy it was for you to receive the help you needed, via the following one-click rating, after I close the chat. Have a lovely day!

1 Reply 1

Re: How do I speak to a manager to complain about customer service illegally cancelling my account?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @alexis wearmouth, thanks for reaching out to us and for taking the time to share your feedback. 

I do understand how important this is for you, and I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. 

If you were in a chat with a member of our team, you should have a ticket associated with the interaction. 

Could you confirm the ID (eg. #1234567) so that I can pass your comments along? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?