cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How do i contact support?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

It seems impossible to log any sort of technical support query! I think i will have to cancel my subscription, has anyone else had the same experience?

14 Replies 14
Highlighted

Re: How do i contact support?

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

You can open a support ticket via www.dropbox.com/support - this link is at the bottom of this very page (Get More Help), at the bottom of all Help Centre articles, and indeed is linked to in many Help Centre articles as well as a next step.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I sympathize, Emma C., and might suggest that perhaps Richard P. hasn't tried his own advice.

I spent a lot of time searching Help Centre articles, then I finally tried the online submission, and spent (wasted) a lot more time composing the issues that I wanted to report and two-finger typing it all in. Result? I received an auto-generated email telling me "We’d love to chat one-on-one. But...".

The email suggested that the best path to answers was to explore the Help Centre!

If a company elects to not provide one-on-one support, so be it. But to tell users that, AFTER they invest time submitting an issue on a web form provided for the purpose? That's insulting.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

The automated message occurs when the help desk has a large volume of tickets, and generally only Basic members will receive it. Remember, only Pro and Business users have email support (what they refer to it as when you open a ticket). While Basic users can open a ticket, there's no guarantee of a direct response, especially when there's a high volume of tickets being handled.

If either of you would like to ask your questions here, we'll try to help the best we can. Note that this is a user-supported forum and there are some issues that we can't handle (billing, etc.).

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have a pc with multiple windows users (family members) we all have our own folders my documents, my music, my pictures, my video etc.  I want to use my dropbox account (which i've upgraded to pro) as a backup for those folders for each of us.  I've tried wading through help centre articles and looking at the forum but all the solutions I have read involve (what seems to me) a complex process of setting up of additional admin users or fiddling with registry settings.  I just wanted to find out if there is an "official"dropbox solution for this scenario and if not (and based on the my support experience) I may just see if i'm better off with an alternative!

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

No, there isn't an official solution for that because Dropbox is not intended as a backup service. While it has some backup-like functionality, it's primary purpose is file synchronization of the Dropbox folder (and only the Dropbox folder). If what you need it a true backup service, then take a look at CrashPlan and other similar products. Their entire purpose is file backup.

Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

I just wanted to find out if there is an "official"dropbox solution for this scenario and if not (and based on the my support experience) I may just see if i'm better off with an alternative!

No, there isn't an official Dropbox solution for that scenario - Dropbox is one folder on your computer, and everything in that folder is synced to the Dropbox servers.  Dropbox does not officially support syncing any file or folder outside the Dropbox folder.

Remember, Dropbox is intended as a syncing tool, not as a primary backup system.  For that, look at Back Blaze, Crash Plan etc.  

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Ahh ok thanks for your help guys.

I have used dropbox in the past just for file sharing and was following advice as Virgin Media (UK) are closing their cloud service and recommend Dropbox the letter actually says "If you'd like to back up your stuff again, why not try Dropbox?".

Looks like I should have done my own research first!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Thank you Rich R. for your explanation on support ticket handling.

Can't help wondering, however, how a user knows this if the Support people don't bother to mention that the offered help is dependent on ticket volume.

I can accept that Basic members don't receive the "privilege" - but only if they are told BEFORE being invited to waste their time entering and submitting a ticket.

Thanks also for the offer to help here with our questions. No longer relevant in my case as following my ticket rejection (and before posting here) I invested even more time working my issues out by trial and error.

(Sorry Emma C. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.)

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Looks like I should have done my own research first!

As should have Virgin Media - interesting!! Not sure my folks have had that email yet. 

For backups I use CrashPlan from Code42. Works fab.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?