cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long can I use a Free Dropbox for? Will I have to pay at some point?

Highlighted

How long can I use a Free Dropbox for? Will I have to pay at some point?

New member | Level 2

When Dropbox began, it had a free time limit of 2 years. Once those 2 yrs were up, you had to either pay to continue, or download all your files and cancel your subscription.
That was in 2005, or so, and I canceled.
I don't see any mention of time limits for a free subscription, is it still limited to 2 years?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: For how long can i use free Dropbox

Super User II
Dropbox has never had a time limit on it.... what has often had time limits on it, however, were bonus spaces. So if you had a bonus space that would get removed after 2 years and then you'd just go down to the free account (2gb or more if you've earnt it).

So, its free for as long as you want it and as long as you keep using it - they do delete accounts which are not used in a long time.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User II
Dropbox has never had a time limit on it.... what has often had time limits on it, however, were bonus spaces. So if you had a bonus space that would get removed after 2 years and then you'd just go down to the free account (2gb or more if you've earnt it).

So, its free for as long as you want it and as long as you keep using it - they do delete accounts which are not used in a long time.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer

And to add to what @Mark said, Dropbox was not around at that time (2005) - could it be that you're talking about another service whatsoever @iluminameluna?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I love my free space on Dropbox! Makes sharing files simple

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?