Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How long is the "Public" folder going to be supported for?

Helpful | Level 5

As webmaster for several web sites, I'm using direct links for many files (more than 3000) from the "Public" folder with a free account (created in 2011).
I'm a bit anxious about that. For how long this feature will be supported ? What would you suggest me to do ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: "Public" folder

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

The "Public folder" has already been sunset. aka reached its end of life. It has been discontinued for all new accounts.

However if you have a grandfathered account then you are free to continue using it. The only thing to watch for would be reaching the daily limits on your data quota.

Links:

Limitations on usage

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you Tom, Mark and Ryan for answering. I found another way to use public links. It works, but what do you think about this link http://techapple.net/2014/04/trick-obtain-direct-download-links-dropbox-files-dropbox-direct-link-ma...
??

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

The "Public folder" has already been sunset. aka reached its end of life. It has been discontinued for all new accounts.

However if you have a grandfathered account then you are free to continue using it. The only thing to watch for would be reaching the daily limits on your data quota.

Links:

Limitations on usage

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Just to add to what Tom has said, as it is a grandfathered feature it may be discontinued in the future and Dropbox never release roadmaps we wont know if/when it will happen until its made public.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

If you have that many files that you're linking to in Dropbox, should probably use the API to programmatically link to those files. This'll also allow you to keep using them without the public folder. See here

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you Tom, Mark and Ryan for answering. I found another way to use public links. It works, but what do you think about this link http://techapple.net/2014/04/trick-obtain-direct-download-links-dropbox-files-dropbox-direct-link-ma...
??

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I understand from this forum that the Pubic folder has been discontinued but it still shows as the name of the file that our webmaster uses to share files. We do the website together and I cannot figure out which file on my dropbox corresponds to the one on his that is named Public. Any ideas?

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?