cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Many of us begin our Dropbox journey with a Basic Account, which has so many perks, and of course, it is free! Learn all about how to get the most from your plan here.

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix !? Accidentally forgetting to change email address before losing access to that email.

How to fix !? Accidentally forgetting to change email address before losing access to that email.

kristrun_gunnarsdottir
Helpful | Level 5

I still have a basic account with Dropbox on an expired email, [removed per the Community's Guidelines]. I have the correct password because the login has been auto-choice on my comps both at home and work for ages.  Silly me, being under the impression that I changed the email on the account months ago when a colleague of mine (at a new workplace) wanted to share a folder with me via Dropbox.

I am not at all a frequent user and now I see that I never changed the email address (the auto-choice would have dictated the access) and now I have two accounts, one of which (the one with files I desperately need) I cannot access because DROPBOX is suddenly sending security code to the old email address which - again - I obviously cannot access to retrieve.

HELP !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to fix !? Accidentally forgetting to change email address before losing access to that emai

kristrun_gunnarsdottir
Helpful | Level 5

Hilarious to see the removal of the email address (per the Community's Guidelines), which I specifically state is EXPIRED, aka, does not exist at all !

I was hoping for a more private exchange regarding my problem since no community-shared solution exists. 

If tech experts at DB are taking their support role seriously, it should be rather straightforward.  For example, I could have registered other information on that account, e.g. phone number or some other identifying information that I and a technical support person can converse about privately.

As it stands, I have indeed requested to be contacted both by email and phone and I am hoping DB folk can live up to their own expectations.

Many thanks,

--kristrún

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Re: How to fix !? Accidentally forgetting to change email address before losing access to that emai

Mark
Super User II

I'm afraid without access to the email account or a device already logged in there is no way of getting access. 

Do you not still have the files on a device anywhere?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

kristrun_gunnarsdottir
Helpful | Level 5

Hilarious to see the removal of the email address (per the Community's Guidelines), which I specifically state is EXPIRED, aka, does not exist at all !

I was hoping for a more private exchange regarding my problem since no community-shared solution exists. 

If tech experts at DB are taking their support role seriously, it should be rather straightforward.  For example, I could have registered other information on that account, e.g. phone number or some other identifying information that I and a technical support person can converse about privately.

As it stands, I have indeed requested to be contacted both by email and phone and I am hoping DB folk can live up to their own expectations.

Many thanks,

--kristrún

bbhare
New member | Level 2

I also have the same problem.    (Accidentally forgetting to change email address before losing access to that email

my old e-mail account was closed a couple of months ago,

having got out of the Dropbox habit I forgot to log in the update my registered e-mail address

I continue to discover other accounts to which I have no access.

I do have a copy of all on-line contents of dropbox... I think

Tricky situation

Palle59
New member | Level 2

Did you get any help on this problem?

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Palle59 New member | Level 2
    bbhare New member | Level 2
    kristrun_gunnarsdottir Helpful | Level 5
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?