cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can't free up space

How to free up space in your Dropbox account

John W.87
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've unshared many folders, permanently deleted lots of files but dropbox still reports that it is full.  How can I free up space?  I've already followed dropbox instructions with no results

106 Replies 106

Leibelovitch
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

And don't forget to delete all items from your trash after delting them from your folder.

Btw, is there a way or a feature where I can see the size of all files within my dropbox folder, based on size? That could help users identify the files that take up the msot room and decide if they want to delete them or not.

Mac0li
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Android users have a big advantage in clearing up space in their Dropbox because they get the best possible tool to do that. Unclouded is simply brilliant and does things that no other app does.

To begin, sign in only with your Dropbox account and not any other cloud account, even though you have options for those. At this point, you only want to analyze your Dropbox account, nothing else.

By default, you get an overview of your files and folders. Go to Menu > Categories to see what types of files dominate the things stored on your Dropbox. A quick look showed me that I had stored several comics on Dropbox, and was able to remove them. Similarly, you might be able to remove videos or images, or MP3s in one swoop.

Next, go to Menu > Duplicates, where Unclouded will show you several files that appear twice. Long-press a duplicated file, tap the three-dot icon in the top right and choose Select All. Now, just start tapping one copy of each file so it's unselected. When you're done, delete the rest by tapping the Trash icon. To me, it was surprising how many of my files repeated, and I ended up clearing up a lot of space through this step. If you've installed Dropbox on Windows, there are tools to find and delete duplicates.

Then, go to Menu > All Files, and tap the second icon from the top right, which looks like three lines of different lengths. Tap Large to Small to sort all files (including those within folders) from largest to smallest. Now select the files you want to delete and get rid of them. Remember, you got rid of duplicates, so this is the last copy of this file on your Dropbox!

Finally, sign in to Unclouded with your other cloud storage like Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. Now, run through Menu > Duplicates again to see which files on Dropbox also appear in your other cloud drives. That way, you can get rid of the file on Dropbox, whereas it can stay somewhere else where you have more space.

Unclouded is so powerful that if non-Android users want to manage Dropbox space, you should emulate this Android app on your PC or run this Android app in Chrome on any operating system.

Download: Unclouded for Android (Free)

Skas Xaritson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi ;

You may try the file compression technolodgy. You may compress the files in form of zip or rar. You may download 7-zip https://www.7-zip.org/

You may do this too - https://www.dropbox.com/getspace

There are pretty tons of solutions. You may google some problems.

This will help you a ton. Believe me.

Skas Xaritson,

Record Producer.

AaAODCUA
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In my experience when using Dropbox, there is almost no way to free up storage space on Dropbox, even if you've permanently deleted files to free up storage space on Dropbox. If you really need free space on Dropbox, you can upgrade your Dropbox account for additional space, or using ZIP, 7-ZIP, or RAR compression technology to compress your files and folders. Or you can also use Dropbox together with other cloud-based file and folder storage services, such as Google Drive, Box, Mega, or OneDrive

techiegenius22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I would recomend trying the steps to get more free storage and see if that helps. Here is a link to the dropbox website: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/space-storage/get-more-space 

techiegenius22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Try tranfering some of your files to google drive one drive or box that may help

Skas Xaritson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Yes this will work too.

AaAODCUA
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Yes, you right

gulfclubs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

go to setting and delete the extra files