cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to free up space in your Dropbox account

How to free up space in your Dropbox account

John W.87
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've unshared many folders, permanently deleted lots of files but dropbox still reports that it is full.  How can I free up space?  I've already followed dropbox instructions with no results

106 Replies 106

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @lucianaferrari76, you can delete files from the Dropbox site, which will free up space immediately. There's no need to permanently delete files, since that won't affect your quota.

You can also check which folders and files take up the most space by checking the size of them.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

khuedn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Có cách nào lấy lại files hoặc folder khi ngắt kết nối dropbox với máy tính không? xin cảm ơn!

watercolour
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a DropBox Basic account which has a limit of 2.75Gb.  I use it mostly for passing family photos around the family.

I have a pile of photos to send but DropBox recently advised me that I need to upgrade as my allowance was nearly full.  I have deleted a lot of old photos not wanted any more but the account statement says I am still using half of the 2.75Gb.  Checking the individual folders I actually have one small file left.

What else can I do?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

What does it show at www.dropbox.com/account and www.dropbox.com/home ?

You also need to change the mindset around volume of file and size. It doesnt matter how many files you have in Dropbox its how big they are that is the issue. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Wayneteb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can I get free space ?

Steven Cee
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

No, going to my account page and seeing the list of files does not tell me what's taking up so much space, because those same files on my computer show only 1/3 the size that Dropbox is telling me! Plus, the list doesn't even include some things in my folder on my computer!  And under "Recents" it shows the most recent being from 2019!  Which is absurd, as there are photos in the list that were included up to this year, so it looks to me like there's something wrong with how it's functioning. And if the most recent addition was two years ago, why would I only now be getting a notice that I'm almost full? None of this makes a bit of sense, and the fact that nothing, not folders, nor items are given their sizes, certainly doesn't help matters at all.

Steven Cee
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I finally found directions as to how to make the sizes show up, and see that Dropbox is showing nearly TWO GIGS of files that I months ago removed from my Dropbox folder on my computer. So what do I do to get them off my account online? Do I have to go through and delete each one?  Why wouldn't removing them from my Dropbox folder also remove them from my account, isn't that how this works?

Jihoon Hong
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thank you

Joaquinbfc
New member | Level 2

I AM getting to the 2gb capacity and want to erase a Lot of garage i AM sure i have there. Hoe can i get in and clean instead of buying more capacity

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Joaquinbfc, thanks for reaching out!

If you want to delete files from your Dropbox, you can follow the steps in this article.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Karen D.22 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?