cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to switch accounts on Windows 10

How to switch accounts on Windows 10

msmith0612
Explorer | Level 3

Very confused. I thought I had one Dropbox account that I was accessing with both my Mac and my PC. However, I just saved a file created on my Mac and it doesn't show up on my PC.

The Dropbox content showing on each computer is ALMOST the same but I see differences. There are only two explanations that I can see:

1.  My PC account is not syncing - and can anyone tell me how this could be happening? or

2. I actually have two accounts - but how they got the same content is beyond me. I can see the account that I'm logged into on my Mac but not on my PC. If I open the Dropbox app on the PC, it isn't much more than another File Explorer window. Can anyone tell me how to detect which account I'm logged into on the PC? Is it one that was created with the Microsoft ID I set up with MS Office?

Help!

5 Replies 5

Re: How to switch accounts on Windows 10

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @msmith0612,

To check if you are using the same account on both machines, open Preferences on your applications and check registration emails in Account tab. Both account have to be literally the same, i.e. no just the same logical email account! For example, some email provider may consider abcdef@mail-server.dom and abc.def@mail-server.dom the same, but not Dropbox! If you are using different account, just select one of them and switch there on both machine.

Other possibility, since Windows possible FS symbols are pretty restricted, have you used symbols in particular files names not compatible with Windows? 🧐 Can you create a file on Windows with the same name as missing files name, for example? 🤔 Use Windows supported symbols, if that's the case. 😉

Hope this helps.

msmith0612
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks - but my problem is that I don't see "Preferences" in the Dropbox app. It's like I'm in Twilight Zone here.

I can right click on the app icon in the taskbar, which activates a popup with the app name and "Unpin from taskbar" and if I right click on the app name in that popup I get to Dropbox Properties which is really about the shortcut there.

I simply cannot find ANYWHERE on this PC that tells me what Dropbox account I'm linked to.

Здравко

Hi @msmith0612,

🤔 I'm unsure we are talking for the same thing. Did you read referred topic in my previous post? Where you read that you have to "right click on the application icon", "unpin", ... etc?

Take a look again on the topic pointed by the link and see if you can find the things you are looking for. 😉

Good luck.

msmith0612
Explorer | Level 3

I have to do that because there is no "Preferences" menu item available in my Dropbox application. That's what I have been trying to say.

When I open the Windows app, it looks a lot like Windows File Explorer with a couple of extra menus - but I honestly cannot find any preferences at all. So I do the next best thing, which is to look at Properties - accessed by right clicking.

Back to the problem of Dropbox not syncing, I tested to see if there are two Dropbox accounts (one under the account that I can easily see on my Mac and the other under the email that I am logged into Windows Live on through my PC) and verified that there is NOT a Dropbox account under this Windows ID.

I noticed that I somehow wasn't logged into Windows Live, which maybe could have caused a sync issue, but even after I logged in Dropbox wasn't syncing.

So I have made zero progress. I still have a Dropbox on my Mac and one on my PC that are very similar but different and no way to tell which Dropbox account my PC is displaying.

If you can get me to find a way to do this through Dropbox preferences or some other way I will absolutely find a way to buy you the beverage of your choice wherever you are in the world!

Здравко

Hi @msmith0612,

🙂 For whatever reason, it would be fine for us to have a cup of beer. 😉 If at some moment we get together somewhere, definitely will do!

I don't know what to say. 🤔 I have no way to see what exactly you're doing and what's wrong. Can you post a screenshot on the view where appearance doesn't match to corresponding description in the referred topic. In such a way I (and not only) will have a visual representation too. Mask any personal info.

By the way you can see if you have attached the particular machine to your account by check on attached devices list. Are all devices there matching to corresponding real machines? Does some real machine missing, but there is a entry (i.e. dummy device - died link)? Does list entry missing for a real machine, supposed to be connected (i.e. possible machine link to a different account)? Analysing this information could shed some light, despite not direct answer.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?