Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to view which computer accesed a file.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

Someone in my company has been snooping in my dropbox account that I have signed in at work. I would like to find out if there's a history of times a file has been accesed and maybe specifically which computer recently accessed a specific file. I know you can view which computer saved a new copy of the file in the version history.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How to view which computer accesed a file.

New Super User
New Super User

@tsc11762

As far as I am aware, that isn't possible. The DB basic account will show you when it was accessed last, but not by what device. You might be better digging through the system logs on your computer for that. @Lusil correct me if I am wrong please

BUT, I highly recommend locking down your workstation when you are not there. That should prevent this issue in the future unless someone has your credentials or a system admin is remote accessing your machine on the network.

How do you know someone else accessed the file?

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Neil.

You can see if someone is currently looking at a file with viewer info and, depending on the Dropbox plan you have, you may also be able to see when someone last viewed a file. To find out more info on this, have a look through this article

You can also navigate to the Security page of your account settings for more details related to devices and web sessions. I’d also recommend checking this link out which suggests a few ways to protect your account

If you’re still experiencing trouble with this, due to account-specific info required to further investigate, please contact our Support team via email

Hope this helped to some extent! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New Super User
New Super User

Does someone else have your DB credentials @tsc11762? Or is this a shared folder that others have access to? Or do you think someone is on your workstation?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
I’m logged in on the back office computer at work. And someone must have viewedthe file from there. I’ve only accessed the file from my one computer and not the back office one. So I’m looking for the date and time it was accessed on that computer
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
@atccodex
Highlighted

New Super User
New Super User

@tsc11762

As far as I am aware, that isn't possible. The DB basic account will show you when it was accessed last, but not by what device. You might be better digging through the system logs on your computer for that. @Lusil correct me if I am wrong please

BUT, I highly recommend locking down your workstation when you are not there. That should prevent this issue in the future unless someone has your credentials or a system admin is remote accessing your machine on the network.

How do you know someone else accessed the file?

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey Neil (@tsc11762), I’m just pinging you back here, as I’ve also located your open ticket on our system & I’ve made sure to reply to you there. 

Whenever you find some spare time, please check your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you asap. Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?