cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I access the wrong account. How do I switch?

I access the wrong account. How do I switch?

SeniorBlanco
New member | Level 2

I just upgraded to a new iMac. I put the wrong email address down when setting up Dropbox on the new computer. I treied to edit my email address under settings and put in the correct one but got a message that the id and password I tried to correct it to are already in use (yeah, by me)

apreciate assistance

7 Replies 7

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @SeniorBlanco

I'd be more than happy to help!

To access a different Dropbox account from the desktop app, simply sign out and back in again

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SeniorBlanco
New member | Level 2

I did as you suggested; I'm able to access my primary Drop Box account but when I go into Finder and look at the Dropbox folder it only has the few files/folders associated with the old account I mistakenly entered when I set up Drop Box on my new iMac

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your swift reply, @SeniorBlanco

It sounds like you're looking at the Dropbox folder that's associated with the account you connected previously. 

Please note that when you link to a different Dropbox account, the app should detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer and should give you two options: Choose Another Location or Install

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in:

• Another location other than your existing folder, click on Choose Another Location.
  • The same location as your existing one, click Install. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox (Old) and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking.

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @SeniorBlanco,

Just some tips. You can check if the right e-mail (account) is associated with particular application instance, using a look at "Account linking" field in Account tab on Dropbox Preferences. To be sure that proper account will be associated, initially login your target account, in the web browser, and after that do @Lusil suggestions. :wink:

Hope this gives right direction.

dhogan829
Explorer | Level 4

thanks to you and @Lusil 

You two are proof that you can teach and old dog new tricks

Thank you very much!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

You are welcome @dhogan829:wink: Glad I'm able help.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

No worries, @dhogan829!

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern. 

If you have any other questions in the future, just give us a shout. 

In the meantime, have a lovely weekend ahead! :grinning:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    dhogan829 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?