cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I accidentally joined a Business Team with my personal account and have a question about my files

Helpful | Level 5

Hi All - I've been doing as much research on this topic as I can and it seems to be a recurring problem for a lot of people. The following...

Accidentely merged my personal dropbox plus account with a business account. Need to revert back to Dropbox Plus.

I understand so far, that the admin of the team folder can down-grade my personal account back to a basic one. Then from there, I can upgrade to my original plus account.

The thing which is unclear is wether the data I have on my plus account will remain if converted to basic? I don't want to lose any of my files and there is certainly more than 2GB (standard basic amount) in there.

Can the admin down-grade me safely without losing my data? 

Many thanks...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I accidentally joined a Business Team with my personal account and have a question about my file

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Charlie87; welcome to our Community!

In this case, when your team's admin converts your account back to an individual one, you, as a team member, get to keep all shared files and folders you had access to before joining the team, and any private files in your account. 

If you'll be out of quota when this happens, syncing will stop if your files are more than the free, Basic plan's allotment which is 2GB of storage at which point you'll be able to re-upgrade to the Plus plan to resume syncing. No files will be deleted. 

I hope this clears things up Charlie. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29
Highlighted

Re: I accidentally joined a Business Team with my personal account and have a question about my file

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Charlie87; welcome to our Community!

In this case, when your team's admin converts your account back to an individual one, you, as a team member, get to keep all shared files and folders you had access to before joining the team, and any private files in your account. 

If you'll be out of quota when this happens, syncing will stop if your files are more than the free, Basic plan's allotment which is 2GB of storage at which point you'll be able to re-upgrade to the Plus plan to resume syncing. No files will be deleted. 

I hope this clears things up Charlie. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions! 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Walter for clearing that up! I almost had a panic attack earlier today thinking i'd lost all my files.

Many thanks 👍

Highlighted

Accidentally combined a private account (Plus) with a business account

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello 

I was invited to join a Dropbox business account by a client and have wound up and accepted expecting to be able to see their shared folders within my dropbox.

Instead I seem to now have my personal account within their business accpount? How do I reverse this and revert back to my plus account? 

Thanks

Paul

Highlighted

Re: Accidentally combined a private account (Plus) with a business account

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @vanman, thanks for reaching out to us about this. I moved your post here, where another user expressed a similar concern.

Have a look at what Walter mentions, and let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Cheers!

Lusil

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks...will my Plus membership remain (I paid for an annual subscription)?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Generally, when you join a Business team, your Plus subscription immediately ends and any remaining credit is refunded to the original payment method. 

For this reason, when a team admin converts a member's Dropbox Business account to an individual account, it becomes a Dropbox Basic account. From there, you can upgrade by going to this link

However, if the Business plan is on a trial and the team admin converts you to an individual account, your should go back to your existing Plus subscription. 

Team admins can find more info about how to convert a member's account to an individual one, here

I hope this helps, @vanman

Lusil

Highlighted

Merged my Dropbox with a Clients

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I received an invite from a client to share a folder which is not uncommon. However, when I did so, I have somehow managed to cancel my own subscription and move my entire dropbox within his organisation's. Fortunately only I can see my files (apparently), but this, obviously, is not what I intended and not acceptable at all. I cannot find a way to correct it. Can you help?

Highlighted

Re: Merged my Dropbox with a Clients

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @sanfio73, thanks for reaching out to us. I moved your post here to keep similar concerns together for troubleshooting purposes. 

Have a look at Walter's post above and if you have any questions or trouble along the way, just give us a nudge. 

Keep us posted, thanks!

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

The company i've recently worked for have taken the steps now to remove my personal email from their business account. I've then subsequently been able to successfully upgrade back up to the Dropbox Plus account...

However, i've noticed alongside the root folder, their company name still exists in brackets. I've tried to rename it but to no avail. Is there any way I can rename the root folder back to my personal name?

Many thanks. 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?