Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I accidentally logged out of my computer and when logging in Dropbox asks me to upgrade.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi there, 

I have been a dropbox user forever. I have 4 devides linked to my free account. 

I accidentally logged out of my computer. When logging in again, because of the new policy limit (3 devices) dropbox asks me to upgrade to a paying plan. 

Is there a solution for this? Or do I need to pay period? 

Thanks

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: I accidentally logged out of my computer and when logging in Dropbox asks me to upgrade.

Super User
Super User

I am afraid currently there is no way you can link more than three devices with your free/basic Dropbox account. 

Highlighted

Re: I accidentally logged out of my computer and when logging in Dropbox asks me to upgrade.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Tanegram; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

I'm sorry to be the bad news' bearer here but you won't be able to link another device to your free, Basic account unless you bring it under the current limit which -as you know- is 3 at this time. 

If you're by any chance considering to upgrade, note that our plans, which don't have the device limit, come at either an annual or a monthly basis. 

I hope this helps clear things up and I'm always a post away if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks Walter, I understand what you are saying and the new policy. However I understand that you decided to apply your policy to new members or new devices, not to people who had been logged on 3+ devices before the change. 

I was one of those people and it had been working perfectly well up until today that I accidentally logged out. I am aware of the policy and if I buy a new device I will have to pay but since it was an accident I was wondering whether you could make an exeption.

Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your prompt response @Tanegram.

I understand where you're coming from and I wish I had a better answer than this but, at this time, if you need to link an additional device, you have two options:

• You can link additional devices by upgrading to Dropbox Plus, and benefit from 2TB of storage space.

• If you prefer to remain on your Basic plan and have already 3 devices linked to your Dropbox account, you will need to unlink a previous device before being able to link a new one.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@Tanegram wrote:

However I understand that you decided to apply your policy to new members or new devices, not to people who had been logged on 3+ devices before the change.

That's only true as long as those extra devices remain linked to your account. You were grandfathered in for currently linked devices. If you unlink one, accidentally or otherwise, you can't relink it until you bring your connected devices back down to 2, freeing up a spot for the one you unlinked.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?