Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I am running out of hard disk space. Can I use it like on mobile?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I am currently maxed out on my HD on my mac due to my dropbox size of 250+ GB. How can I mimic how my iPhone see Dropbox vs how my desktop sees dropbox. The iPhone does not locally store 250+ GB of data, it allows me to access which files I need when I need them. How do I set that up on my desktop app on the mac? Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: HD space maxed out

Super User II
Super User II

How do I set that up on my desktop app on the mac?

You cant. Such features do not exist. 

You need to use the website instead to access files. 

If you want to remove some folders locally you can do so via www.dropbox.com/help/167

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

How do I set that up on my desktop app on the mac?

You cant. Such features do not exist. 

You need to use the website instead to access files. 

If you want to remove some folders locally you can do so via www.dropbox.com/help/167

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Why am I forced to store locally on my HD's but not on my mobile devices? Why would I want to remove folders by not syncing them? They are there for a reason, so I can access them upon multiple devices (most of which do not require me to store them locally to a HD).

Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

Clayton,

A third party app may be able to help. I have not used it in a long time and it could have gotten better or worse. They offer a free trial. I am not sure about if its bandwidth intensive or not. When I used it all it was just the trial. I never used it significantly. 

http://www.expandrive.com

As Mark mentioned the web site is the alternate method if expandrive doesn't suit your needs.

ps. Use at your own discretion, as I don't have enough info on its current status. I know several other users in the forums are using it. Make sure and make a good backup as a precaution when trying any new software.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

No it is the entire purpose of Dropbox. You seem to have misunderstood what its designed to do. 

Dropbox is a syncing tool. It is designed, and intended, that everything will be stored locally as well as remotely. 

- - -

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

How can I have misunderstood? If I never install the desktop app and upload all my files via the web browser, all the data is stored in the cloud, accessible from mobile apps and other desktop web browsers. This means the data is entirely stored in the cloud and as such there is no way I can misunderstand what the service is. Its marketed as a cloud service, not a syncing service. I agree that the cloud allows you to sync across multiple platforms and devices and it is able to do so as it is storing it in the cloud.

Back to my original question, without utilizing only a web browser, how can i store my files ONLY in the cloud?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Its marketed as a cloud service, not a syncing service.

You are mistaken. Dropbox's primary purpose is file synchronization. This is stated clearly on the main page. "Dropbox keeps your files safe, synced, and easy to share." and "Save files on your computer, then access them on your phone from the road. Everything you keep in Dropbox is synced automatically to all your devices." Those are just two examples.

Back to my original question, without utilizing only a web browser, how can i store my files ONLY in the cloud?

As it has been stated already, you can't.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?