cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't verify my email address as it's spelled incorrectly, what can I do?

Highlighted

I can't verify my email address as it's spelled incorrectly, what can I do?

Explorer | Level 3

When I set my account up, somehow it changed 2 letters in my address. However, when I go into my account to change it, it shows it correctly. But if I just view it in my account it's wrong. I need to share some files and can't because I can't veryfy my email, as the emails go to the incorrect address. I've tried to change the address anyway, even though it shows as correct when I try this but it says this email address is already in use! HELP?

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: I can't verify my email address as it's spelled incorrectly, what can I do?

Dropboxer

Hello @bexboo1, I'd be happy to help out with this!

So from what you've mentioned, when you try and correct the email address it gives you an error that the email is already in use, is that right?

From the account page, next to the email address does it shows "Edit" or "Verify"?

If the email address was the same as the one currently shown in your account settings, then it should prompt you "Choose a new email address" instead.

Can you please try requesting a password reset for the email address that you want to use from here, and let me know if you receive the email to do that?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, yes that's correct. I tried the change password reset and got sent the email - but I don't get it if I request the varify account one.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

[screenshot removed due to personal info as per Community Guidelines]

This is what I get, but my email is [email removed] which is what shows when I try to edit my email.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that @bexboo1!

Since you're getting the error when trying to correct your email that it's already in use, it would suggest that there is another account under that email.

As you received the password reset email, could you use this to create a new password and then try and sign into Dropbox using the correct email address and the new password?

If you do this, does the account appear to be different than the account you were signed into under the incorrect email?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, yes this seems to be a new account - the files I have uploaded are not here.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Okay, that's great @bexboo1!

Since there is an account under this email address that you'd like to use, I'd suggest deleting the new empty account under the correct email with these steps.

This will free up the email address so that you can then successfully change it on your actual account. Can you try changing the email address now and see if you receive the email to complete the change?

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?