cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot change obsolete email address because it is waiting for verification.

I cannot change obsolete email address because it is waiting for verification.

Leisureguy
Explorer | Level 3

I have a problem that is not addressed in any of the help suggestions.

The email address on my account is long since gone: a dead account for an ISP that by now has probably folded.

I would edit the email address to my current address, but the Settings page is requiring that the old email address be verfied before I can edit it.

This is a catch-22. I'm stymied. Can anything be done to get me past this impasse?

I'll check back. The board helpfully offers to email me if anyone replaies, but of course you see the problem with that.

5 Replies 5

Re: I cannot change obsolete email address because it is waiting for verification.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @Leisureguy; welcome to our Community!

Can you please let me know if you're getting any errors if you try to change the email address through your account's settings online?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I cannot change obsolete email address because it is waiting for verification.

Leisureguy
Explorer | Level 3

Here is what I see:

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

I tried clicking "Cancel on the line "Pending email verification." When I did that, that line vanished, but the line above ("Personal email [email removed as per Community Guidelines] Verify email") remained. I cannot edit that email address.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @Leisureguy!

If you're still having issues with this, could you perhaps try another browser and let me know how it goes? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Leisureguy
Explorer | Level 3

I tried with a different browser (Firefox this time), but it truly is not a browser issue, it is a flaw in the Dropbox user interaction logic. Hereis what I see on screen:

I want to edit my email because the [Removed as per Community Guidelines] address is obsolete and no longer operative — that account is cclosed. However I cannot edit the email address until the [Removed as per Community Guidelines] address hasn't been verified. The only choice offered is "verify email," which I cannot do because that address is unverifiable: that account is closed and does not accept email.

I hope I'm being clear: I can edit my name, but my name is fine. I cannot edit my email, but my email is wrong.

I sure wish there was a way to contact support and get them to either allow me to edit the email or just update the email address for me.

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Leisureguy, in order to verify the email, you would need access to the email address.

It isn't possible to change the email either without having first verified the original address, so in this instance, it won't be possible to change the email for your account, even via the support team.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If there's any further info you need, please let me know.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?