cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not enough space?

I deleted some files but it says I still don't have enough space

Johnny P.5
New member | Level 1

Hi, my dropbox account says I do not have enough space to accept a shared folder my colleague is trying to share with me. I deleted my personal files and still says there is not enough space? I do not want to upgrade my dropbox.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

If it's still telling you that there's not enough space, then the shared folder is still larger than the free space available in your account. The only way to accept the invitation will be to delete more files from your account or upgrade to Pro.

If you only need to download the files and have no need to sync changes back to the original owner, then ask them for a share link to the folder instead. You'll be able to download them directly without having to add them to your Dropbox account.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Rich
Super User II

If it's still telling you that there's not enough space, then the shared folder is still larger than the free space available in your account. The only way to accept the invitation will be to delete more files from your account or upgrade to Pro.

If you only need to download the files and have no need to sync changes back to the original owner, then ask them for a share link to the folder instead. You'll be able to download them directly without having to add them to your Dropbox account.

View solution in original post

Claudia I.1
New member | Level 1

I just upgraded to 1 TB Dropbox Pro. There is nothing in my folders. I tried to upload a 6 GB file of photos to share and got the "not enough space" message. What? Why? Now I can't share anything with anyone for the money I spent to upgrade. I want my money back!

Wendie H.
New member | Level 2

Me too. I go to my account and it tells me the last activity off this computer was TWO YEARS AGO? I get a message saying I am using an old version of DB but there's no place I can find to upgrade it. (Mac OS 10.10.4)  A lot of my files appear on my desktop/local copy but many, many do not show in my DB online. I did upgrade to the 1T version. Syncing is not occurring. I can't share vital files with a customer. I have shut down and restarted but this is a serious problem. 

melanie w.8
New member | Level 1

I have deleted everything in my Dropbox, it is empty and I still get that error message? I have 22.21GB of available space on my computer. I do not want to upgrade. Help!

Tom D.47
New member | Level 1

Same issue as melanie w.  All of my files are empty except the tutorial docs.  My available space bar shows a tiny sliver of blue at the far left. The file I am trying to access is 194MB.  My Dropbox account says I have 2.5 GB available.  It just seems silly at this point.  

Mark
Super User II

It isnt 194mb I'm afraid.... the error is REALLY badly worded (and I thought updated actually) it means you need an additional 194mb of space. So the share is actually nearer 2.8gb in space. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tom D.47
New member | Level 1

Hmmm, not only would that be poorly worded, but it doesn't explain why the number in the message hasn't changed even though I deleted 1GB of content after I first received the message.  It's always read that I need 193.93 MB.

Mark
Super User II

Because to accept it your account needs to be 2.8gb of space. Or thereabouts. 

Look under the name of the shared folder (Silvermine?) that tells you how much space you need. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tom D.47
New member | Level 1

Ok, thanks.  Not wanting to complain about a free service, but this roadblock has not enticed me to consider upgrading my account.  If anything, it's made me want to delete my account and not deal with the headache.  Why are some people able to open and pick and choose the files they want?  Is it because I was given editing authority?

Thanks for all your help though.   

Need more support?